Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Setting up an OS on a Hard Drive
    Hello. I have a Maxtor IDE 200GB hard drive that I'm installing onto a computer. I want this drive to be the primary hard drive. When I plug the drive into the computer and motherboard, the computer identifies it. However, the problems start when I go to install the OS - Windows XP. Here's what I did:

1st, I went to do a clean erase of the drive to ensure it was completely blank. I used WipeDrive Software, which detected the hard drive. When I went through the prompts and finally got to erasing it, it didn't show any progression (the % of the drive wiped clean). I figured that since the drive was clear there's nothing to erase so I restarted my computer and went to install the OS. I booted from the cd. The OS identified my drive and the partition space, and I installed the OS software. At the point when the OS software restarted, at which the next point in the installation process would be to set up your settings, it didn't get that far. It got to the startup screen (the POST), identified the devices, then the message came up to boot from cd. I left that alone because I knew I had to continue with the installation and that it should proceed to settings, but the black background with white letters identigying devices just stayed on the screen. I waited 10 minutes, then 20 minutes and finally after a half hour passed, I restarted my computer. Same thing. I decided to experiment and changed startup options to hard drive first. Same thing instead of at the bottom stating "Press any key to boot from cd" it now states "Verifying DMI Pool Data". All the while, the orange light is steady - it doesn't blink, it just remains steady lit like the green power light. What could be going wrong? Thank you & have a good day.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
    See if some info on this site helps

How to Format Drive and Install Windows from Scratch
    Geek to Live: How to format your hard drive and install Windows XP from scratch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

View more questions Search