Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertmc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Cracked Fitting
    Hi,

I recently installed a thermostatic shower mixer. I have discovered a leak that seems to be coming through a tiny crack in the mixer itself. The crack is located near a joint. I think the mixer is made from stainless steel.

Is there a simple way to fix this kind of leak or do I need to take some type of drastic action?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Hey Robert,
    You can't solder or patch stainless steel. The unit's under warranty. Return it as defective and get a new one. Good luck, tom

Jul 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Robert,
    You can't solder or patch stainless steel. The unit's under warranty. Return it as defective and get a new one. Good luck, tom

Thanks Tom, pursuing this avenue too.

Rob
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
    This usually happens during rough-in. Your plumber tighten up the fitting too much, cracking the body in the process. Also, it could be manufacturer's defect. Do what Tom said. Inspect the valve before you put it in - and then, before you cover up the wall.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Well, you can solder stainless steel, but you either call it silver soldering or brazing.

Jul 13, 2008, 01:15 AM
    Hi Mark, not sure of the brand. Bought it on eBay. Here's the product link;

SQUARE 2 WAY THERMOSTATIC SHOWER VALVE & SQUARE RAIL on eBay, also Complete Shower Units, Shower Plumbing, Bathroom, Home Garden (end time 13-Jul-08 17:00:00 BST)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2008, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Well, you can solder stainless steel, but you either call it silver soldering or brazing.
    The point I was trying to make is that is that he shouldn't have to. It's a new installation under warranty.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 08:34 AM
    A SS valve body would, come to think of it, make it really really expensive.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 09:07 AM
    I was looking at the EBay pixs. The body is made of some alloy that looks like brass but is not brass all the way. The valves are actually screwed together and connected with short nipples.
    If this is new valve, and it leaks from the body, than I would try to return it. If it leaks from the nipple attached to the valve, try to remove it , apply new pipe-dope and reinstall.
    I would not try to fix it myself. If you do, than they won't take it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This really cracked me up! [ 4 Answers ]

YouTube - Tom Mabe funny phone call

Cracked head [ 1 Answers ]

would white smoke resulting from cracked head be a random thing or a constant occurrence?

Cracked Tooth [ 1 Answers ]

Just a while ago I cracked a tooth that had a root canal a year ago. The tooth also had a cavity. I never got it crowned. Now if I go to a dentist. What are some things they can do to fix my tooth with out pulling it? My Dad told me with his cracked tooth they just fill it with this white substance...

Cracked mouth [ 12 Answers ]

I sometimes suffer from cuts at the side of my mouth, especially when I am eating fruit and things. I have to chop melon up as to eat it from a big chunk seems to nip. My mum reckons this is a B Vitamin deficiency?

View more questions Search