Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Jun 25, 2008, 07:33 AM
    How long after a c-section?
    As you can tell from some of my other posts, my husband and I are thinking about trying for another baby. Our son is six months old now. I have some concerns because I had a c-section. So, here's my question: How long do I have to wait, after a c-section, to safely get pregnant again, and increase my chances of VBAC? (I really do not want a c-section again).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:43 AM
    You need to wait at least a year after the birth of your child to become pregnant again. I know some will disagree with me, however, I am an RN in the labor and delivery department of my local hospital.

The reason is that it takes approximately a year for your body to fully recover, C-Section or not, from the ups and downs of the hormones, as well as from the surgery itself.

Now, not to burst your bubble, but VBACs are not as popular as they once were. While it is still possible, there are some very high risks involved. The risks include, but are not limited to, hemorrhage, evisceration (where the scar itself breaks open), etc. All of this depends on how aggressive your doctor is, as well as your previous medical history (why you had the section to begin with), age, along with the type of incision used in the previous section.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ang8318
    As you can tell from some of my other posts, my husband and I are thinking about trying for another baby. Our son is six months old now. I have some concerns because I had a c-section. So, heres my question: How long do I have to wait, after a c-section, to safely get pregnant again, and increase my chances of VBAC? (I really do not want a c-section again).

Here's two great sources of information that can be helpful too:

VBAC.com - a woman-centered, evidence based, resource.

International Cesarean Awareness Network
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jun 25, 2008, 09:18 AM
    I had a c-section with my first and my doctor told me there is no way they are letting me give birth naturally with my second. The risks of complications occurring are higher and it is just safer having another c-section. If you do want to deliver VBAC, you may have a very hard time finding a doctor that will comply.

Jun 25, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Thanks for all of the great answers. When my doc told me I had to have a c-section, I was devastated, and still feel like my body failed me. Don't get me wrong I have a beautiful son, so it was worth it. But, I still cry when I think that I will never know what contractions feel like, or go through labor, vaginal delivery, or to breastfeed. (I had to stop breastfeeding because I had to be on very high doses of blood pressure medications, because my PIH did not stop after the baby was born.) Is it normal to feel like this? Sometimes I feel like my body failed me.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jun 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Thanks for all of the great answers. When my doc told me I had to have a c-section, I was devastated, and still feel like my body failed me. Dont get me wrong I have a beautiful son, so it was worth it. But, I still cry when I think that I will never know what contractions feel like, or go through labor, vaginal delivery, or to breastfeed. (I had to stop breastfeeding because I had to be on very high doses of blood pressure medications, because my PIH did not stop after the baby was born.) Is it normal to feel like this? Sometimes I feel like my body failed me.

You and I are in completely different boats when it comes to childbirth. I had to have a c-section with my son because of Pre-Eclampsia issues. Vaginal delivery scared the crap out of me every time I even thought about it. I was actually excited to have a c-section instead of having a kid the size of a watermelon come out of my hoo hoo. Lol. I guess it just depends on how you look at things. I feel that a woman's body is a magnificent creation considering we can grow a child inside us. Just because you can't deliver the conventional way doesn't make you any less of a mother now does it? Just be glad that you can bring your own child into this world. So many women can't do that and I can understand how awful that must feel. Consider yourself blessed hon. ;)

Jun 25, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I know, I am extremely lucky to have a happy healthy baby boy. I guess the whole c-section thing took me by surprise being that I was planning a natural childbirth and a c-section was the furthest thing from it :) I had to have my section for 2 reasons, the first, my baby was larger than what the doctors felt would fit through my pelvis, and also my blood pressure was no longer under control, despite taking bp meds throughout my pregnancy, I went for my 37 week checkup, and a section was scheduled for 3 days later. I know I am blessed for being able to have children, and having a c-section did lower risks for my son, but I guess I am just really hoping for a VBAC next time.
    rsvp209 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
    As you can tell from some of my other posts, my husband and I are thinking about trying for another baby. Our son is six months old now. I have some concerns because I had a c-section. So, heres my question: How long do I have to wait, after a c-section, to safely get pregnant again, and increase my chances of VBAC? (I really do not want a c-section again).
    Hi!
    To my knowlegde, once you have a c-sections, there is no having it vaginally. I'm assuming you asked you Dr. about that, but especially since your baby is so young, your scar is still so new, even if you got pregnant right away, I would think they might be afraid that it would tear your scar... my girlfriend just had her 2nd baby in Feb. and she didn't want to have another c-section also and they said NOWAY! So, you can beg your Dr. and plead your case with a big smile and maybe you can and prove me wrong! ( which I would like since I know your dilema! ) Good luck! -Sarah
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Thanks for all of the great answers. When my doc told me I had to have a c-section, I was devastated, and still feel like my body failed me. Dont get me wrong I have a beautiful son, so it was worth it. But, I still cry when I think that I will never know what contractions feel like, or go through labor, vaginal delivery, or to breastfeed. (I had to stop breastfeeding because I had to be on very high doses of blood pressure medications, because my PIH did not stop after the baby was born.) Is it normal to feel like this? Sometimes I feel like my body failed me.

It can be very normal to feel this way whenever birth does not go the way "we" played it out in our minds. It doesn't matter if someone wanted a natural birth and ended up going with meds or had a few interventions, a mother who wanted her epidural but it was decided that it was too late to safely have one, or the mother who hoped for a vaginal birth but needed to have a c-section.

If you understand, and accept, the reasons given... feel that you were part of the decision making process... and that your questions were adequately answered, it can still be a "good" birth experience... and that is what we hope for because birth is something you will always remember.
    Something's are totally out of our control, something's we decide to choose differently next time once we learn more.

Was baby too big? Maybe, maybe not... but it was determined that a c-section was the better choice. Was the blood pressure high enough to warrant a c-section over an induction? Perhaps... again... these are decisions that are partly judgement calls on your doctor's part and that is why you go to them... for their knowledge and judgement to keep you and baby safe.

Could another blood pressure medication be used or could you really have continued breastfeeding with what you were on? There are numerous choices that are compatible with breastfeeding. Which one are/were you taking?

Will you get to have a VBAC? Depends on your doctor... as the reasons for your previous one do not automatically require repeat surgery. I've known women who have had a couple of VBACs after a couple of c-sections, and others who didn't have a choice... there is a wide range of what is done. You don't get "do-overs" in childbirth... you make your choices with the information you have at hand. Do the research on the pros and cons of both procedures... VBAC and repeat surgery, go over what you find with your doctor, and together decide which represents fewer risks to you, your baby, and any future pregnancies. The same goes for the medications and breastfeeding... whether you have the VBAC or not, are able to breastfeed or not, make your decisions with informed knowledge... then you will know you have chosen the right path for you and your birth. Once you are able to do that, you won't have questions about should haves or could haves, you won't feel your body failed you, and you will come away with a powerful birth experience that was your own.

Jun 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Thank you Doula, that answer really made me feel more at ease with my past experience, everything the first time just happened so fast, it was almost like I did not have time to do research, or look at my other options. This time I have already started my research. My doc told me the last time I saw her that I can have a VBAC if my bp is OK, and if it safe for the baby, and in the long run, that is what really counts :). Thanks again for your help, it will put my mind at ease.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I can tell you that one of the anesthesiologists I work with has 7 kids. The first 2 were section and the last 5 were VBAC.

While it does not happen as often as it used to, due to some serious risks involved, many doctors still leave it open as an option if the pregnancy goes well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having sex after C section [ 6 Answers ]

My wife last month gave birth to a baby with C-Section (Operation). I want to know after how many months we can make love again.

Section 8 [ 2 Answers ]

I am living with my mother in law, who is on section 8. I need to get my own place for my daughter and I. can I apply while living with somebody already on it?

FAQ section [ 9 Answers ]

Is it just me or is the FAQ section on here really hard to find?

Section 8 [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how you can get section 8. I was woundering how long it takes and also if you had to have good credit or what it requires! Can someone please tell me a little about this?

Section 8 [ 4 Answers ]

I just started renting on section 8 two years ago in CT and now my landlord is charging me for having a washer and dryer in my unit. He never discussed this and the hook-ups were already in place in the unit. He said that I have to pay him but nothing is stated about that in my lease agreement. ...

View more questions Search