Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Ha ha! I agree with you beautiful, I would be affected if a girl told me I was number 100... I think I would rush to the damn doctors right then, and some STD's don't show up for YEARS!

It's a matter of personal preference. She asked what we thought would be a high number in a year, and we gave our opinions. How are they wrong?
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Even if the person was completely clean I think you would still be affected emotionally.
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Nothing more than three sexual partners a year.
    sokay Posts: 142, Reputation: 14

Jun 11, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysWriting
    Nothing more than three sexual partners a year.
    This is an interesting discussion. Ok, I'm just using this one as an example.AW says no more than 3 a year, that doesn't sound too bad. So between the ages 18 and 36, 18 years have passed. If the person had 3 partners a year, that's 54 partners by the age of 36. Or if it's only 2 partners a year as someone else suggested then that's 36 partners by the age of 36. Someone else said that 50 partners by the age of 50 is too much. But there are 32 years between 18 and 50, so at 2 partners a year that adds up to 64 partners, and at three partners a year that adds up to 96 partners. Are they a slut then if they had sex exactly twice a year? Three times?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I really don't think there is some magical number you cross one day.
    I think it is more an attitude. More what you answer to questions like why do I end up with one night stands, am I looking for someone special or just taking my chances with anybody that comes along. I think when you can regret being with some of the guys it is time to re-evaluating just who and what you are looking for.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sokay
    This is an interesting discussion. Ok, I'm just using this one as an example.AW says no more than 3 a year, that doesn't sound too bad. So between the ages 18 and 36, 18 years have passed. If the person had 3 partners a year, that's 54 partners by the age of 36. Or if it's only 2 partners a year as someone else suggested then that's 36 partners by the age of 36. Someone else said that 50 partners by the age of 50 is too much. But there are 32 years between 18 and 50, so at 2 partners a year that adds up to 64 partners, and at three partners a year that adds up to 96 partners. Are they a slut then if they had sex exactly twice a year? three times?
    We all have our opinions.
    I believe 50 in a life time is WHOA, but that's because I believe sex should be between two people in love, not just a 'one night stand' and such.

You do in fact make a good point though. In the example you gave, I'm in between if that person is considered a 'slut.' Assuming that the person that had 64 partners from age 18-50 didn't love any of them, then yes that is going outside of my moralistic values. BUT in the case that they did, well that's a lot of loving :)

I would feel gross to know that I gave myself to 64 different men in my lifetime. I would rather give myself to someone that I love and plan to be with for awhile. Who knows though, I could fall in love 64 times.

Also, the number that you calculated was based on 32 years. What if the person decided to stop having sex (or found 'the one?') when they turned 30, 40? The number would decrease right? From 18-30 w/2 partners a year=24. From 18-40 w/2 partners a year=44. Those numbers can't compare to 64 or 96.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I really don't think there is some magical number you cross one day.
    I think it is more an attitude. More what you answer to questions like why do I end up with one night stands, am I looking for someone special or just taking my chances with anybody that comes along. I think when you can regret being with some of the guys it is time to re-evaluating just who and what you are looking for.
    You are totally right N0help4u.

I don't have to answer any of those questions because I choose not to have anyone that 'comes along.' Some people have to.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Jun 12, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    And I'm just pointing out that ...so what? So what if they do? If they enjoy the sex, and don't want to be tied down to one person because of their education or their career or whatever---who cares?

So...if 50 is too many, regardless your age--how many is still okay? 10 at 21 years old? or 3 or 13 or what? What about at 50? is 10 okay at 50? or is 20 okay?

Honestly, I'm seeing this as another form of close-mindedness about the bedroom. As long as a person is safe and willing, what difference does it make?

I guess what my question then is, following in this, is that if a person absolutely refused to give you the number of people they've slept with, but could show you a clean bill of health--would you still be with them?
    I follow your logic, however it is still the persons right to decide if it bothers them or not.

I don't think it's fair to call someone close-minded because they aren't comfortable being with someone who has been with so many people. They aren't judging the person, simply stating that they aren't comfortable with it.

It is no more wrong to say you aren't comfortable with it than it is to have a "large" number...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:00 AM
    So how many is a healthy number?
    To each his own. If your healthy, and happy with yourself, that's all that counts.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 06:23 AM
    I just don't see why Rome was attacked ha ha. All I said was it wouldn't be something I'm okay with being in a relationship with. That somehow got transferred into anyone who has kids, which then was proved false and yet no response from the accuser..

I agree, to each their own, I just wouldn't have a part of it if someone was in a high number.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
    I didn't mean it to be an attack--apparently my "tone" was off all over the place yesterday. I apologize if anyone took it that way. I was just honestly curious--believe it or not, I LIKE to hear what the other side of a discussion has to say. It makes me think.

As far as not responding--I was just extremely busy, and hadn't gotten a chance to yet. Alhtough--you answered my questions, so honestly I don't have a lot to say at this point. I was really looking to understand the other point of view, and you've helped me do that.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Thanks Synnen, that means a lot to me. We all have our off days where what we mean to say comes off completely the wrong way we intended it to come off ha ha. I understand, I also like a healthy debate on the forums, gives me something to do during this long boring IT job I'm at right now ha ha

Jun 12, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19
    long boring IT job im at right now ha ha
    Agreed...

I'm starting to think a lot of people here work in IT...
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
    What an interesting discussion! It is squarely in that space between human desire and moral responsibility. I have a psychologist friend who defines levels of insanity as the space between what we are and what we think we are. If the space is too wide, we are nuts. The US has a problem here. It really is a lusty place, but we claim that we are one of the most moral nations in the world so we don't want to push the question.

I don't think much of the rest of the world would be having this discussion. Aside from the std issues, few people outside the US would care how many partners anyone had.

(There is a great scene in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" where the male character and the female character get into a discussion of past lovers. He considers himself a stud until she starts enumerating her experience.)

But, to provide some data against the original question, I did an internet search. Here's what I found from a US survey:

Total Number of Sex Partners
    Average Median
    All 13 5
    Men 20 8
    Women 6 3

Total Number of Sex Partners
    All Men Women
    One 19% 12 25
    2-4 25 16 33
    5-10 28 26 29
    11-20 12 18 6
    21+ 12 20 4

I don't believe I'd trust the numbers, but the trends are interesting. Most women "claim" to be below the "both hands" number... ~85% Only 10% of women "claim" to have had more than two hands. Men on the other hand average four hands.

This is fascinating. Given that there are around the same number of males as females, that top 10 % of women must be getting some workout.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 08:48 AM
    BB yea the job of IT can be describe as this. If it's slow, it's dead slow... If it's busy, it's freaking crazy!
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Jun 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
    BB yea the job of IT can be describe as this. If it's slow, it's dead slow...If it's busy, it's freaking crazy!
    I'm in IT as well. You are all so right, when it's busy, oh man it's busy, when it's slow, it's slow LOL!
    keely123 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I don't have the word 'slut' in my vocabulary and haven't since I was 16. What I call people you have a healthy sex life is normal. I could count the guys on both hands as to I have been with. I do regret some so does everyone but as long as you feel that all you have is healthy sex life there is not anything wrong with a strong sexual drive. It is there to enjoy.

Jun 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
    BB yea the job of IT can be describe as this. If it's slow, it's dead slow...If it's busy, it's freaking crazy!
    I hear that... I was bored this morning... Just got done running around for the last 4 hours :(
    keely123 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE
    We all have our opinions.
    I believe 50 in a life time is WHOA, but that's because I believe sex should be between two people in love, not just a 'one night stand' and such.

You do infact make a good point though. In the example you gave, I'm in between if that person is considered a 'slut.' Assuming that the person that had 64 partners from age 18-50 didn't love any of them, then yes that is going outside of my moralistic values. BUT in the case that they did, well that's a lot of loving :)

I would feel gross to know that I gave myself to 64 different men in my lifetime. I would rather give myself to someone that I love and plan to be with for awhile. Who knows though, I could fall in love 64 times.

Also, the number that you calculated was based on 32 years. What if the person decided to stop having sex (or found 'the one?') when they turned 30, 40? The number would decrease right? From 18-30 w/2 partners a year=24. From 18-40 w/2 partners a year=44. Those numbers can't compare to 64 or 96.
    I have just one question for you. Do you think people don't have sex after 50? Because when you keep going after 40 us when you get to 64 and higher.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keely123
    I have just one question for you. Do you think people don't have sex after 50? Because when you keep going after 40 us when you get to 64 and higher.
    I said WHAT IF the person decided to stop having sex w/x amount of men after 30 or 40 and just find one person.

I sure hope I don't stop at 50 :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too many sex partners [ 49 Answers ]

I am not asking anyone to post how many partners they slept with that’s personal. The question is how many sex partners are too much? I personally think having more 3 sexual partners is too many. If woman told me that she has been with more than 3 people I would not date her, this of course...

Many sex partners [ 9 Answers ]

Is it normal for a man to not only want, but have sex with many different women? And to jack-off to images of females and their body parts on a regular basis?

Going from friends, to partners? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dating one of my friends for about a month, and it's getting to the crossroads of the relationship. We have had a few dates - I made him dinner, he made me dinner, we went out with friends... the norm. I am getting the feeling that he is getting weird about the sexuality that has been...

Five sex partners! [ 31 Answers ]

I'm a 20 yr old female whose had 5 sex partners in the last one and a half yrs never at the same time though... I don't practice promiscuity but it's just that every time I find a guy I think I can settle down wit an things get sexual after awhile there's always sumting an the relationship doesn't...

Obsessed with partners Ex [ 3 Answers ]

My partner loved his Ex very much, and I can recall him telling me at the beginning of our relationship that if he were still in the same country as her, he would proabably still be with her. At the time I didn't think much of that, but now, it seems to be absorbing all my thoughts, and every time...

View more questions Search