Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Bite laws
    My dog Rex is very protective of me especially around other dogs. If we went for a walk one day and a dog ran towards us barking and growling and Rex bit him would Rex be at fault(even though he is restrained) or would the other dog(who is not restrained) be at fault?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Get your dog some training so he doesn't do what you say he does. It doesn't matter, he bites, and that is an absolutely NO in human and dog language. There is an old saying, you don't do your dog any favours by NOT training him. And, both dogs would be at fault by the way, the other one for doing that shows a serious lack of training, or the other dog is really sick and confused. Bite laws my foot.

I bet your dog strains at the leash too. By the way, what kind of dog do you have ?
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
    I've always heard that most states have a "one bite" law. As I recall, a dog isn't a biter until he/she has a bite on record. After that, the owner is libel.

Anyone?

Jun 4, 2008, 03:40 PM
    My dog does not normally bite he is a great dog. You're right my dog doesn't always walk at my heel but he doesn't pull on the leash either he is a HUSKY and trained very well he was in dog obedience and he won 2nd place we would have won 1st but during the long sit he laid down. I think you misunderstood my question my dog is not aggressive, he never a bit a person or another dog. Its just that I know that if another dog ever bit me he wouldn't stand around doing nothing!

Jun 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
    I NEVER said he bites!
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Okay, he doesn't bite then! But just the same, rex, I have had huskies too, they are super obedient and train well. Samoyeds are even better. I am in the north here, rex, I attend dog sled races where this breed are used. They are well respected but absolutely DO NOT bite teammates. If they did, they would be kicked off the team and relogated to domestic service which they hate. Huskies on a team are not allowed in the trainer's house ever, and are definitely not pets but treated very well for their expertise in their chosen field.

We don't have bite laws for dogs in Ontario. If a pet bites ANYTHING and it is reported to animal control then the dog that bit goes in quarantine for a week until the other dog is cleared healthwise.

Your dog should be walking at y our heel at all times and never distracted by another dog until DIRECTED BY YOU.

I hope you would never be in a position where another dog bit you. To be in that position with your dog on a leash, you would have to be in absolute control of your dog and the other dog.

Jun 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
    My dog is not sled dog he is a companion. He may be protective but once again he never bit another dog you won't have to worry about that. I live in Nova Scotia you don't hear much about dog attacks anyway. My dog is well trained, however I have not had the same amount of experience as you I am still in school. Don't worry about my dog I trained him well and I would never think of putting him in a situation where he or another dog could be harmed I love him too much for that. He's the best dog I know when things get tuff I can always turn to him! FYI Rex is my dogs name

Jun 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Name:  Rexy and Mac.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  74.2 KBDoes this look like in aggressive dog to you?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    Does this look like in aggressive dog to you?
    Rex,

There's aggression of different types. My family had a pit mix that was perfectly fine with us, with our dogs, with our cats. And that dog would kill any small animal (possum, rabbit, etc.) that came in the yard as soon as it could catch it. We never trusted that dog around anyone else's cat, even though he was fine with ours. My Trink is the sweetest, most easy-going calm dog that you have ever seen, until you put her in sight or sound of a coursing lure. Then, you'd swear that she'd been replaced by an entirely different dog. Dogs that get along fine off leash may attack each other if they meet on leash. Just keep in mind that the fact that your dog is fine in 98% of the cases doesn't mean that he won't be aggressive in that last 2%.

To your question, a lot is going to depend on the circumstances. If a little chihuahua comes running up to your dog growling and barking and your dog bites it, the court is likely to look at that differently than if it was a pitbull charging your dog. The reality is that you should be able to control your dog's reactions in that situation.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 4, 2008, 09:10 PM
    I don't know anything about the laws in Nova Scotia or where to tell you to look. In the states you can bring them up on the computer. (For example, in my state, I would type in Kentucky Revised Statutes and then scroll down to the section that covers dogs.)
    In this state you probably would not be held liable because your dog was restrained properly and under reasonable control. The owner of the other dog would be in violation of the law because it was off the owner's property and not under the owner's control. Don't take that as the gospel truth, I am certainly not a lawyer. For some reason the county I live in has decided I am the dog law expert, so I am constantly looking them up for the county attorney and sheriff's office. I keep telling them that all I know I learned from watching "Animal Cops" :)
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 5, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Most states have what is called a leash law. Usually if your dog is on a leash controlled by you and another dog runs up to you and your dog bites you would not be at fault. It is the fault of the unleashed dog. Just as a precaution you should always make sure your dog is fully vaccinated as if anything like that ever occurred they will ask for vaccine records.

Huskies are also prey driven dogs so they tend to show aggession towards smaller animals. My dog is aggressive towards other dogs so I am always alert to everything going on around me when we go for walks. I do not let other people walking their dogs appoach me and I will cross the street to avoid them. Even though it would not be your fault if something like that was to happen you should always do everything in your power to prevent it.

Jun 6, 2008, 02:21 AM
    Thanks sherryandgreg,re I just don't understand why rexacts the way he does around me. He's great with dogs off leash. BUt even when we were in dog obedience if another kid was having trouble with there dog and it was growling and chewing on there leash or jumping up rex woulds start to cry and sometimes his hackles would raise. This is what happens most of the time when we walk past dogs rex will cry. I tell him to forget about it in a funny voice to keep him and me come. I think its workind because the other day he never even acknoleged the other dogs. What kind of dog do you?
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 6, 2008, 07:19 AM
    I have a pit bull. So as you can imagine I have to be extra careful with him around other dogs. Whenever your dog does show interest in another dog when you are walking him just get his attention back to you. Whether it's by talking to him or showing him his favorite toy. Good Luck.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Even a dog that might potentially bite is no joke.

When I was 6 years old I was bitten in the face by an akita. The bites went through the top of my nose, with another one millimeter from my eye, and another - the largest - ripped open my cheek to the bone. I needed 60 stitches.

The dog gave no warning before it bit.

It was never put down. It remained in a family with two small children.

If you think your dog has ANY aggression problems, take care of them in a serious way. All it takes is one time.

Personally, as you can imagine from my experience, I can't understand wanting an aggression-risky breed, no matter how sweet and unique the exceptions to the rule are. This doesn't mean anything about your individual dogs, but I prefer to play it as safe as I can. There are also traditionally sweet breeds with aggressive biters. It's all about being individually responsible for each of our dogs, no matter what the cost.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 7, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I am in no way making light of the need for you to be very vigilant with your dog when you walk him.
    There are a couple of reasons, however, that might make him more dog-aggressive on leash than off.
    A dog off-leash is free to meet another dog in a natural way and can use more body language. Your dog may feel that he is at a disadvantage--he does not have the option to move away from the other dog, so he goes on the defensive.
    You probably start to worry when you see another dog, so your body language changes, you may tighten the leash, and cause your dog to become even more concerned that this is a bad situation.
    When you pass another dog and you use your "funny voice", is it high-pitched so that Rex might be mistaking it for praise? If so, you may be inadvertently reinforcing the behavior. (you're saying "everything's okay, just ignore it", but he may be hearing "its okay to behave this way in this situation")
    Your best reaction would be to continue to walk briskly, and tell Rex in a firm but calm voice to pay attention to you. I use the word "phooey!" to mean whatever you're doing or thinking about doing, stop it now. Praise him anytime he moves past a dog without paying attention to it.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 8, 2008, 01:50 PM
    I have had a very recent personal experience with my dog being attacked by an Akita. I live in Alberta. She was severely injured, went into convulsions, and had to have emerg surgery. She ended up with 86 stitches, and bruises all over her body. She has a boat load of behavioural problems, and issues now also.

I don't know much about Husky's Rex's (Dad/Mom?), but in AB. if your dog is in the top ten,that are considered a dangerous breed, (Akita is #3, Pit's #1, and Rotties #2) it does not matter if your dog or the other dog is leashed or not. If a dangerous breed attacks, it is the fault of that dog owner, period! I have got police reports that state this. FYI.. Even if my dog would have jumped the fence where the Akita was, the Akita's owners would still be held responsible. I personally think that part is a little extreme, but that is what the law states.

I also have a sister that lives in Charlotte, NC. She has a Pit mix. She has been forced to put up a ten foot fence, and take out an insurance policy for a minimum of 10 grand, and the premiums are very pricey!

I've got the Canadian Laws, and I would be more than happy to send them to you if you would like me to.

Linnealand, I'm very sorry that you got attacked by an Akita. They are powerful dogs, and if not properly trained are obviously very dangerous!

Jun 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Thanks he's normally a great dog, I do make sure to control him around other dogs and I will try to do what you have all suggested
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 03:24 PM
    We were glad to offer what we could, rexl23. Just enjoy your lovely dog and do the best you can for her.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jun 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Rex,

Something to keep in mind is that bite laws vary depending on where you live. Even if someone in the same country as yourself says the law where they are is X, that doesn't mean your local area (state, county, city, etc.) might not have some different laws. You need to contact your local authorities to find out what the law is in YOUR area.

I suggest you start with your local animal control office. They know the dog laws for your area and can advise you.

The better trained your dog is, and the more you have independent witnesses to your dog's good training and behavior, the better off you will be if anyone accuses you or your dog of misconduct such as biting.

Good luck,

jc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Bite Law [ 4 Answers ]

I have a dog with a fenced in yard and a lock on the gate. Children from the block are constantly hopping the fence for one reason or another or simply torment him. If anybody gets hurt with him locked in my yard, what is my liability? Should a "Beware Of Dog" sign be posted?

I think my bite is off [ 1 Answers ]

I just resently had an upper and lower partial plate and I think my bite could be off I;m having headaches and not feeling real well How would I know if my bite is off Thanks Anne

If bite is off can it be bad [ 4 Answers ]

I had a crown pop off. The dentists recementated it and now my bite is off. I have already gone back once and he shaved and shaved and shaved. It's better but still not perfect should let it go or can it do damage to my jaw?

Dog bite [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is a black lab she is full grown and she weighs about 70 pounds. She will not jump the fence unless someone calls her over. The fence is 4 feet tall. The cop came and said my dog bit a young child(10-12 years of age) she didn't break the skin or even leave a mark. Yet my dog was on our...

Dog bite [ 1 Answers ]

Our 3 yr old germanshep/cattledog cross just had an argument with a "buddy" during one of our daily outings in the offleash park. It wasn't a vicious fight... just a disagreement.. which lasted about 5 seconds... however our dog ended up with a single tooth wound on his upper foreleg... in the...

View more questions Search