Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Mar 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Carpenter bee problem
    The other day I noticed a bumble bee making a hole on the wood right underneath the roof line, and today there is another hole. What can I do to stop them from doing this? What should I do to patch the hole? Please help. :mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by happybisaya
    The other day I noticed a bumble bee making a hole on the wood right underneath the roof line, and today there is another hole. What can I do to stop them from doing this? What should I do to patch the hole? Please help. :mad:
    I have them also. Plugging the hole won't help. Those are carpenter bees. You need to get an exterminator to deal with them.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
    We treat them ourselves successfully.

Yes, it's a carpenter bee. She's laying eggs in there.
    You need to spray poison in the hole then plug it up asap... and watch close, they keep trying to come back to the same place.

You can plug it up with caulk or wood putty then paint over it.

Be careful, too: They're not considered "aggressive" but they do deliver quite a painful sting.

PS, here's a bit more 'bout those nasty critters, from Ohio State University:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2074.html
    crocodilicious Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Ask the bug man, he knows everything: http://www.fagerlund.addr.com

On his site is his e-mail address. He used to answer bug questions and probably still does. He is a entomologist at University of New Mexico, not an exterminator.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Hi,
    I also disagree with calling an exterminator, just on the grounds that you can do it cheaper, if you can get to the holes.
    Buy a spray can of wasp spray, Raid, etc, and spray it inside the holes. It works. I have used it myself. If you don't stop them, you will start seeing more holes and bigger ones. I do wish you the best.
    If the holes are too far above you to reach with a regular spray can, try getting a Wasp Killer can that shoots a 20 ft. stream. Be careful that it doesn't fall back into your face!
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Apply Delta Dust
    This synthetic pyrethroid controls a wide variety of insects, both inside and outside the home. Very active on ants, carpenter bees, fleas and large roaches. 1 lb. duster, contains Deltamethrin.

Dust in each hole and for further protection any spray containing 1% permethrin or cypermethrin along the wood surface. This will repell or kill bees before they drill holes
    http://www.e-bug.net/cgi-bin/store/c...ticides#drione

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Carpenter Bees [ 2 Answers ]

What canyou get to get rid of carpenter bees?

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

View more questions Search