Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chela717 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Termination of parental rights
    I live in Florida and would like to know if anyone out there knows what procedure it is to legally terminate parental rights for the father of my child so I can remove him from my child's birth certificate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
    It is doubtful you can remove him from the birth certificate, if you have a new partner who wants to adopt a new birth certificate with their name is normally issued.

Also judges seldom will take away the rights of one parent unless they meet certain things listed in state law.

So you are normally stuck with the other parent on the birth certificate once they are listed and it is hard to take away their rights.

May 16, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Thanks so much for answering its nice to know if my partner would like to adopt he would be able to legally. My daughters father has been out of her life since my pregnancy and ran off with another woman in which he also had a baby with, but since he was illegal he had to go back to his country with her. He doesn't ever call or care that he has a child in which is my baby girl. Never seen a dime of child support from him either. I just don't want to have to ask for permission to obtain passport for her or any other document for that matter, thanks again for taking the time to answer.

May 16, 2008, 06:29 AM
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    it is doubtful you can remove him from the birth certificate, if you have a new partner who wants to adopt a new birth certificate with thier name is normally issued.

Also judges seldom will take away the rights of one parent unless they meet certain things listed in state law.

So you are normally stuck with the other parent on the birth certificate once they are listed and it is hard to take away thier rights.

May 16, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chela717
    :D
    We will definitely go through adoption proceedings then thank you so much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2008, 06:40 AM
    There are literally hundreds of threads (primarily in the Family Law forum where I moved this to) that ask this same question. The bottom line is that courts are very reluctant to grant a termination of parental rights, even a voluntary one, unless a) to clear the way for an adoption or b) if the parent represents a danger to the child.

So you will need to either get the bio father to relinquish his rights or make a good faith effort to get him to do so. Since you will be better off hiring an attorney to prepare the adoption papers, that attorney will advise you on t he steps you need to take to get a TPR.

May 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Yes definitely need to get an attorney for the adoption. I just thought maybe I would be able to do that myself since he was never in the picture. I guess adoption is the only way. Thanks though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

Can you terminate your parental rights to discontinue medical coverage if the child has reached the age of 18 but is a full time student in the state of NC?

Termination of Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Last year I had found out that my rights were finally terminated in the long custody battle that my wife, I and our child had gone through from 99-2006. We didn't have a permancy hearing for at least 36+months and when we finally did they decided to terminate our rights. During the termination...

Termination of parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old and I have not been involved in his life for several years. I am currently paying child support and owe the state and mother back support. His mother has just got married... so my son has support and I would like to pay her the back support I owe and the state, but no more...

Termination of parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a citation for termination of my parental rights today and was needing to know that if I do not volontarily give up my rights would the judge grant my ex and her husbands request. My children our 14 and 16. I have not played a big factor in their lives due to alcohol abuse and being in...

View more questions Search