Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcdogluv Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 09:45 AM
    How to I get my puppy to bark when he needs to go?
    My 4 month old puppy is getting better with pottying outside now. But he always just stands at the door and so if we don't see him there, he just ends up doing his business next to the door. Is there a way to teach him to bark when he needs to go? Or is he going to naturally learn himself?
    Breckinridge Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Our 9 mo pup we have had since he was 2mo. He started by standing at the door. Now, he stratches. He will stratch louder if we don't hear him. If that doesn't work, he goes to the front door. If we are in another room, he will stratch on the outside wall to let us know "hey, people, I gotta go". So, just my opinion, if you really work with him on the potty thing, he will eventually catch on even if you don't see him stratch at the door. We cleaned up a lot of puddles in the beginning, but no problems now. Enjoy your puppy!!
    jmg422 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Hi there! I had been having the Same problem with my miniature dachshund. Now, by no means am I an expert, however I hung a bell by the door. Every time we would go outside, I would put her paw to the bell. Eventually, she began to ring the bell on her own.

1) I got the bell from a craft store.
    2) You have to be militantly consistent about the bell.

I hope this helps!
    jcdogluv Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I think I'll try the bell thing and see how it works out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't bark [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I got a 7 year old dog from a rescue centre I have had her a week now and she has never barked or so much as whined. She truly is silent and I'm a bit concerned, she enjoys a walk and is very friendly with us and strangers do you think she is depressed and what can I do to help here

A mini schnauzer that doesn't bark! [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help answer me. I have a 9mth old Mini Schnauzer and he has never barked. He can do a whine but not a bark.:(

Dog without bark, History [ 4 Answers ]

My beagle is a puppy and will not bark? I don't understand why, she will whine and growl. She trembles when she is watching a squirrel or something moving but won't do anything else please help me figure out why?? :confused: :confused:

My new shelterdog won't bark [ 2 Answers ]

?? This is really odd. This is my first dog but both of my parents have had dogs in the past. Yesterday, my family adopted a 9month old American Bulldog. She's a sweetie and is nothing but curious. I haven't seen any signs of aggression what-so-ever. My main reason for posting is that she will not...

View more questions Search