Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUGandBOO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Is my relationship legal?
    Hi.
    I am a 17-year-old female and I am currently in a relationship with a 14-year-old male. We have been dating for 8 months. Is this relationship illegal even though our parents consent to it? I also live in Ontario, Canada if that helps the situation any.
    :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 03:20 PM
    If you would have sex, the relastionship would not be legal.
    nova225 Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

May 13, 2008, 07:26 AM
    If both parents are totally okay with it, then everything is okey dokey. If you guys were to have sex, and his parents didn't like you they could press charges. If you got pregnant and the doctor found out how old he is that MIGHT cause trouble. I'm not totally positive, but most people are crazy.
    moniquex0ox Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
    If your parents approve then there shouldn't be a problem I'm 15 & I go out with a 17 year old I don't think it's that bad.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Sorry but you are getting such poor and wrong answers, I had to come back in.
    There are laws of age of consent to have sex in every state, No where in the US is that age under 16 and in some states it is 18. If you have sex, period,, have sex, the person you have sex with is breaking the law.
    The parents can't say it is OK, your preist can't say it is OK, you just can't have sex. If you do, the law is broken.

So anyone telling you it would be OK, or anyone saying the parents can say it is OK, are just not properly researched this, and do not understand the law
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
    There are no laws on dating. But its rather odd for a 17 yr old female to be in a relationship with a 14 yr old male. If there is anything sexual about this relationship its definitely illegal since the age of consent in Canada is 16.

Those who say that age doesn't matter are almost always young themselves and want to believe that, but it ain't true. As you get older, age matters less and less. When both parties are adults, it matters very little. But if one or both of the parties are minors, then it does matter a great deal. Young people going through adolescence can be at very different levels of development even with only a year or so difference. A 14 yr old boy has very different interests than a 17 yr old girl.
    ZigZag07 Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
    I'm kind of in the same boat... but 15 to 18

ITS not illegal... unless your having sex, then it could be considered rape...
    nova225 Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

May 15, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I never said parents can give permission for underage kids to have sex. I SAID if they did have sex and his parents didn't like her they could press charges. I also said it's okay to date if both parents agreed with them dating. You clearly misunderstood or I gave you the wrong impression. Once again... it's okay for them to date, but if things get sexual and his parents did not like her they could press charges.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nova225
    Once again...it's okay for them to date, but if things get sexually and his parents did not like her they could press charges.
    Its LEGAL for them to date, but I disagree that's its OK for them to date. I still think an 17 yr old girl dating a 14 yr old boy is very suspicious and unusual. Because the maturity factors would be so different.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

May 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
    This is exactly a situation which requires more than simply one type of answer. I have read the different post by people genially offering the most comprehensive information available to them. I would implore you to question the situation you are involved in. I honestly believe you are heading down the path which may lead you to a very unfavorable outcome.

You may want to view the link provided.
    Sexual Offences Laws - Canada
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
    If a sexual relationship develops then the 17 year old can be charged with statutory rape and be labeled as a sex offender, not a good path to go down.
    movinrightalong Posts: 23, Reputation: 8

May 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Okay,

Lets get to the main points here.

1st - This post is from someone in Ontario Canada, therefore the laws are those based in the Canadian Criminal Code.

As per Canadian law,
    Section 153 (1.2) A judge may infer that a person is in a relationship with a young person that is exploitative of the young person from the nature and circumstances of the relationship, including

(a) the age of the young person;

(b) the age difference between the person and the young person;

(c) the evolution of the relationship; and

(d) the degree of control or influence by the person over the young person.

Definition of “young person”
    (2) In this section, "young person" means a person fourteen years of age or more but under the age of eighteen years.

R.S. 1985, c. C-46, s. 153; R.S. 1985, c. 19 (3rd Supp.), s. 1; 2005, c. 32, s. 4.

So under the law, as long as none of the above in section 1.2 apply, there should be no issue.

Now as a morality issue, are you sure that as a 17 year old female, that you should be considering this action? You should be aware that emotionally and mentally, you are considerably more mature than your boyfriend.

Even with parental consent, this is pretty shaky ground. You might was to think long and hard about the relationship that you have and think if someone closer to you age might be more appropriate.

Just some food for thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

Legal relationship age difference [ 11 Answers ]

I'm really wondering what is the legal age to go into a relationship with for a 16 year old? Back at school, in health class, I was told that you can not date anyone more than 3 years older than u... if you date anyone more than 3 years older than u.. The person would go to jail for it. But I'm...

Is that legal ? [ 16 Answers ]

Im 16 and the boy I'm intrested in is 19. Im just wondering in the state of Idaho are we fine leagly ? With or without sex ?

Is this legal? [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! My sister was served with a 24 eviction notice for "illegal substances". Her landlord was walking by her building and says he smelled it by her apartment( it was actually her neighbor). He taped a xerox copy of a 2004 notice and scribbled over the old date and penned in 07. The letter...

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

View more questions Search