Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nminatsu Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
    How to revoke authorization?
    I was contacted the Law Office of Curtis O Barnes Friday since they have been harassing my parents about a debt I owe. After having an absolutely horrible 35 minute conversation with them about how I can pay back 1200 dollars, they bullied me into telling them my checking account information. Stupid mistake, I know.

They threatened me with garnishments and courts costs, etc. etc. They would NOT allow me to make payments and told me I had either 1 day to pay amount in full, or I could give them a post dated check.

Afterwards, I found out what my rights are and plan on sending them a certified letter revoking permission to take out any amount EVER on my checking account. Demanding a cease contact with me or any other third parties, and also not allowing them to contact me at my job. Also, a verification of the debt as I don't recall ever getting a letter from them.

I just don't know if this will stop them from taking money out of my account. Does anyone know if this is a valid way to go about this?

*EDIT* I would also like to add that I am meeting with a debt counselor about this and more on Aug 17th. Hopefully she will be able to help get this all in order. I find that this debt collector violated several guidelines put forth by the FDCPA and would like to do what I can to get them to leave me alone.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
    If you know the amount they intend to take out and when call your bank and put a stop payment on it. I would also ask about changing account number cause you think you gave your account info to a fraud collection agency.

As for the debt itself, you already agreed that the debt is yours so you can't stop the whole process and demand a verification. Send a registered letter informing them you will pay in installments and not to contact you by phone etc. How long has the collection agency had the debt?

Aug 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    If you know the ammount they intend to take out and when call your bank and put a stop payment on it. I would also ask about changing account number cause you think you gave your account info to a fraud collection agency.

As for the debt itself, you already agreed that the debt is yours so you can't stop the whole process and demand a verification. Send a registered letter informing them you will pay in installments and not to contact you by phone etc. How long has the collection agency had the debt?

Well I just got off the phone with the bank and I have to find out if the transaction is being done in the form of a check, or electronically. I can block it both ways but it will be 32.00 each way, and I just don't have that.

I couldn't even tell you how long the collection agency has had it. My dad and stepmom told me they were calling, so I called them back Friday. The account was opened a year ago.

I just don't think they'll tell me how the transaction is going to take place. I asked them to cancel the check, but I just get this feeling they don't care at all.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Why not do option 2, have the account number changed. Or just call the bank and explain what happened. Tell the bank your not even sure if it was a real collection agency and now your worried they'll just drain the account. They should suggest something.

Aug 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
    If that happens, won't I be liable for authorizing a payment on an account I closed?

I just called the creditor and they said that the transaction is cancelled and they're prepping my account for lawsuit. They said the next thing you'll be getting is a 1013. I said "what does that mean?" the man says, "get a lawyer. good luck."

But they REFUSED to let me make payments. Downright REFUSED. So I don't understand how they can get away with doing that already. I'm afraid it'll be too late for a debt counselor now.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I think a debt counsellor can still help, I would look one up. It's odd that they won't take payments, I googled 1013 and it came up with nothing relating to legal documents, does anyone else have any input on this?

Aug 6, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I'm due to meet with a debt counselor aug 17. I'm just so scared that it'll be too late by then for this particular debt. I'm really freaking out.

And I don't know if they're saying that to scare me, or if they really mean that I'll be sued in the next day or so.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
    I'm sure it would take several days for them to draw up papers for that. Have they sent you anything in writing, collection letter, if so how many and since when?

Aug 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
    No, I've never received anything in writing. So I have a letter for a cease contact, and I also have a letter for verification of debt, just to buy time I guess... I don't know... and then a letter to revoke authorization of debiting any funds. (I just spoke to a loan officer and they advised to do the same) so... I guess now all I have to do is hope that someone will consolidate my loans for me. This is such a nightmare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application to accelerate & application to revoke [ 14 Answers ]

Application to accelerate and application to revoke? What are the different. :cool:

Medical authorization [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 year old Nephew is coming to California to stay for a week long visit without his parents from Colorado. Do I need to get some type of medical authorization note from his parents in case of an emergency?

Finding abandoned home's owner to get purchasing authorization [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are attempting to purchase a home that has not yet been foreclosed on. The owner has moved out and has failed to make payments for almost a year. We have gotten clearance from the mortgage company's lawyer to find the owner for purchasing authorization and we would be able to make...

Credit Card Authorization without my permission [ 3 Answers ]

I had services done on my vehicle which were not under warranty. I did not pay them at the time for these services. Months earlier I had received a service loaner from them and provided my credit card for the loaner. The company has now charged my credit card for the parts that were not under...

View more questions Search