Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denmark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 11:03 PM
    Is hot wire is not a neutral wire or vice versa in single phase two wire AC source?
    I am a little bit confused why in AC single phase 2 wire source is merely classified the 1 wire as hot and other wire as neutral. The hot wire travels the current from the source to the load and going back the current to the source through the neutral wire. I know that in AC circuit, the signal or source is a sinusoidal, it has positive and negative cycle. Meaning the flow of current is back and forth, therefore at positive cycle the current flows from the hot wire to neutral wire and at negative cycle, the current flows from neutral to hot wire? So, each wire for a 1 phase 2 wire system is hot during cycle and neutral during - cycle. If my hypothesis is correct, My follow up concern is that, for example in residential wiring with 2 wire source ,why only the hot wire (1 wire) is protected with breaker and the neutral (other wire) is unbroken or not fused and grounded to earth if it is also become hot (during - cycle)? Also, if the neutral is grounded, does its dangerous because there is potential I.e instantaneous volts during negative cycle? Can you please help me to have clarification on these.. Tnx
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2012, 05:03 AM
    What exactly is your question?

The neutral is the return conductor for a circuit, and is grounded so the voltage is at ground potential, but it is carrying the current flowing in the circuit.

Only the hot is protected for overload or short circuit. If a fuse was in the neutral conductor, and it opened before the fuse in the live conductor, in the event of a short circuit the device or short could still be live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

What is the defferent between 3phase 3 wire and 3 phase 4 wire energy meter? [ 3 Answers ]

What is the different between 3phase 3 wire and 3 phase 4 wire energy meter?

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

View more questions Search