Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
    Broadband and Local Area connection dispute
    Hi,
    I am using two Lan Card one for mail and other for Broadband.
    I am using DSL-502T ADSL 2+ Router for Internet.
    And using Ethernet card 8329 for accessing map driver on file server and other LAN Data.

But when I am going to use this two simultaneously, the Browser shows no server found.
    Then I have to disable Ethernet Lan for Internet and when I want to use my mapped drive on server. I have to disable Internet Lan or USB Connection of ADSL.

What to do.
    While using ethernet card for internet for DSL-502T only one is working, either internet or LAN.It wants static ip address.
    But while using USB cable for internet for DSL-502T for some time internet works.But after few minutes. It shows same no server found
    Then I have to restart the browser.then again it works for some time and sometime not.
    Triband USB accept IP address from DHCP .

What else setting can be done to work on both simultaneously.
    I intalled NLB but that doesn't work too.
    Please help.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 13, 2009, 07:39 AM

It sounds like you are configured with two gateway addresses when both connections are made. Please run an IPCONFIG /ALL and paste the contents to a post.

Look at the troubleshooting sticky for help with this: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/networ...ts-282387.html

Feb 14, 2009, 03:51 AM

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : paresh-nwe

Primary Dns Suffix.. . : NWE.COM

Node Type.. . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled.. . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : No

DNS Suffix Search List.. . : NWE.COM

Ethernet adapter MTNL Lan Connection:

Media State.. . : Media disconnected

Description.. . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address.. . : 00-50-BA-A8-71-8D

Ethernet adapter MTNL TriUSB Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description.. . : TI USB Remote NDIS Network Device

Physical Address.. . : 00-E0-A6-66-41-E1

Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes

IP Address.. . : 192.168.1.3

Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway.. . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server.. . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers.. . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained.. . : Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:05:18 PM

Lease Expires.. . : Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:05:18 PM

Ethernet adapter BDMC Lan Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description.. . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address.. . : 00-16-E6-7B-E0-1D

Dhcp Enabled.. . : No

IP Address.. . : 192.168.3.143

Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway.. . : 192.168.3.254

DNS Servers.. . : 192.168.3.14

This is what you asked for.

Feb 14, 2009, 03:54 AM
    Gateway 192.168.1.1 is for Broadband

Gateway 192.168.3.254 is for LAN

Of course the gateway is different but this type of connection works on other PC

Feb 27, 2009, 10:51 PM

chuckhole please help!!

Mar 5, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ubharedev View Post
    chuckhole please help!!!!!!
    Sorry. I have been working non-stop for about 16 hours a day supporting a major project in another country so the hours I have been working have not been easy on this old fart.

I am reading over your post and will get right back with you.

Mar 6, 2009, 04:06 AM

Thanks chuckhole

Mar 6, 2009, 09:31 AM

The problem with your PC is that you ALWAYS have two gateway (router) addresses. You need to remove one and provide an exclusion for your other network.

Since you only have ONE router, we will perform the second route on your PC.

Open the TCP/IP configuration for your 192.168.3.143 network card and REMOVE the gateway address.

Then, open a command prompt and type the following (replace ^ with a space and {Enter} is the Enter key):

ROUTE^ADD^-P^192.168.3.0^MASK^255.255.255.0^192.168.3.254 {Enter}

You should be able to browse the Internet without issue and then when you have a request for your other network, it will be directed to your other network card. The -P switch makes it a persistent route so that it will come back after a reboot.

To see your changes, type:

ROUTE^PRINT {Enter}

Jul 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    The problem with your PC is that you ALWAYS have two gateway (router) addresses. You need to remove one and provide an exclusion for your other network.

Since you only have ONE router, we will perform the second route on your PC.

Open the TCP/IP configuration for your 192.168.3.143 network card and REMOVE the gateway address.

Then, open a command prompt and type the following (replace ^ with a space and {Enter} is the Enter key):

ROUTE^ADD^-P^192.168.3.0^MASK^255.255.255.0^192.168.3.254 {Enter}

You should be able to browse the Internet without issue and then when you have a request for your other network, it will be directed to your other network card. The -P switch makes it a persistent route so that it will come back after a reboot.

To see your changes, type:

ROUTE^PRINT {Enter}
    Shall I have to put that gateway again in TCP/IP configuration of 192.168.3.143.
    Or keep it as it is.
    One more thing is happening when I fired route for 192.168.3.254 my default gateway also automatically changes.

Does default gateway matter in route?

Jul 22, 2009, 06:02 AM

Yes. The Default Gateway matters in a route. Routes must be accurate.

Review your settings you have poseted. The network that has DHCP enabled has to be treated as your primary network and the other network that is using a static address needs to be treated as a secondary network. All of the addressing for your Primary network will be assigned by your DHCP server. You will not have control over these addresses and what is assigned (including your gateway address).

REMOVE the gateway address from your secondary network configuration with the fixed IP addresses (192.168.3.254 gateway).

What is happening is that your computer must ALWAYS try to perform routing with ONLY one router - 192.168.1.1 in this case.

If your WAN address on your 192.168.3.254 router has an address for the 192.168.1.0/24 network then it knows of the other network. Your 192.168.1.1 router must be made aware if this network with a static route to 192.168.3.0/24 with 192.168.3.254 as the gateway.

OR, you must add the static route to the PC as described above. There can be ONLY one default gateway address on your PC or it gets confused as to which one to use ALL THE TIME. The other gatway must be the Exception and the Static Route in your router or PC is what provides the exception to the rule. It is used ONLY when a request to the other network is made.

For computers that reside in the secondary network that need to access the primary network for Internet access, the best method is to use the static route in your primary router to complete the return route.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Local Area Connection [ 6 Answers ]

I have had my PC for about 2 years now , unfortunately on AOL! I keep getting a "Local Area Connection3" cable is unplugged , which I presume is either my phone line or the usb from my modem?? This is literally every 2 minutes and it's a real pain.. Also AOL is going mad as well , my PC...

Ethernet - Local Area Connection cannot connect. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, Im losing my mind with this computer! My internet from is working fine, but my Ethernet cannot get a connection. On my ethernet Local Area Connection it says status is: Limited or no connectivity. I have read on the net that you can release and renew in start> run, but nothing happens,...

Fixing Local Area Connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, In my household, my computer is the one that is connected to the router. Just recently, my internet on all off my family members computers is fine, but mine is not working. There is a message that keeps saying there is a problem with my Local Area Connection, but I have no idea what to do....

Local area connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently restore my PC system, I have a webstar dpc2100 modem, It was connected before my PC crash, but now I cannot get connected to internet and local area connection is missing, How can setup again this to connect to inetrnet? thanks in advance for your help. :)

Connection broadband and LAN [ 6 Answers ]

How can I configure two LAN cards one for broadband connection and secod for LAN networking through other PCS?

View more questions Search