Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkwolfe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Ground wire
    I have (1)red, (1)black,(1)white wire. The hiuse is 45 years old. Which is ground?

pinkwolfe
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
    None of the wires you mention are ground, what type of cable do you have? If you have BX then the metal sheathing is the ground. If Romex , the bare or green wire is ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

#12 ground wire for a spa? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a used spa from a friend. I am ready to run my electrical connections but I noticed the pig-tail that is on the spa has three 6 or 8 Gage wires for hot and common but the wire that I assume is the ground is only 12 Gage or so. Is this because the ground wire serves only to trip the...

Ground Wire for new Service Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading my house to a 200 AMP. This requires a new service drop and panel. The technician that came out and gave requirements says I need to run a ground wire that connects my natural gas line, to my water line, to a 8' ground spike and to the new panel. He instructed me to have few as...

View more questions Search