Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youyes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 01:44 AM
    Business law
    Is it a crime to sell one's products below the production cost in USA?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 03:53 AM
    I am fairly certain there is no federal law that says that specifically, but the bigger you get, the more other laws like practices unfair to the competition might come into play.

Is this just a general curiosity question, or is there a particular instance of this that you're wondering about? If the latter, can you share it? I do know we've got a couple attorneys who post here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2006, 04:56 AM
    There are some items that have price controls on them, but in general that has been Walmarts method of getting established in a market.

They move in, buy mostly imports and sell at lower costs than many small companies can even buy them for.

Next they will sell some items at a loss, to get hold of a certain market, before raising their prices back.

But there are some areas where control of product ( esp in agriculture products)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 06:06 PM
    In general, yes they can sell for lower than production costs.

Look at Walmart. They sell for less than what it costs them to buy sometimes.

They are certain restrictions, mainly in farming to help control the price. Example, you can't sell milk for less than X Amount of Dollars.

But in general, no limits.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Hello:

I believe your wife and children would tell you yes.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

New business [ 1 Answers ]

Wanting to start cleaning business. I have my occupational license but I am not bonded or insured. How do I go about getting bonded and insured for my personal new company? Thank you

Business [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on a question Can you help, I need help on a question about Write a 2 or 3 sentence about how the following Canadian entrepreneurs made their fortune. 1)Conrad Black 2) Eugene Melnyk Thank You for your time

View more questions Search