Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crayzpunk4lfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2005, 06:07 PM
    blank screen on start up
    OK... I built my comp w/ a iwill kd266 & amd tbird 1.1 ghz I recently opened to add a dvd drive and when I reconnected everything and turned it on, the screen remains blank...
    512 mb SDRAM
    80 gb hd
    52x CD-Rom
    16x DVD-Rom
    48x CD-RW
    ati radeon 7000 64 mb pci
    soundblaster 5.1
    belkin 10/100 ethernet

I know the monitor is on standby when I turn on the computer because the orange light comes on... its a compaq fs470... the green light comes on when I turn the monitor on... when I disconnect the monitor from the computer, it asks to check the video source... also the male part of the cable that connects to the computer seems to be missing 3 pins

HELP PLEASE!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2005, 08:02 AM
    You are correct that there are missing pins on the VGA cable connection - that's normal. Your next troubleshooting step would be to try another known working monitor on your computer. If you get no video at all again then that would point to your video card (if that was the case you should hear some BIOS beeps at boot up). If the known good monitor works then you know that something is wrong with the previous monitor. There are not many hardware fixes to a bad monitor I'm afraid.

Good luck.
    crayzpunk4lfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2005, 06:07 PM
    You... I figured out the monitoor works, but my mem was in the 3rd dimm so it wasn't displaying anything, but now I can start my comp and go to bios but I thin my hd is gone... bios won't detect it at all no matter what I do and I need to turn it on at least once just so I can extract my xp product key otherwise ill have to buy a new copy
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Check your master/slave jumpering of the devices on the IDE interfaces. You have made a mistake there while installing the new DVD drive.
    Oh, BTW, stop this silly SMS talk: < comp w/ a iwill kd266 & amd tbird 1.1 ghz >

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor screen blank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension XPS-B533r. The PC starts, but beeps three times. The power button on the PC is not lit but the fan is running and there is an orange light on the cpu that is lit. The monitor turns on but the screen remain black. The status light on the monitor is flashing green. The monitor...

Blank Screen at start up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have recently upgraded my PC at home and built it all myself in my existing case. I offered my friend my old parts etc. and I offered to build him a PC out of the old parts (seeing as I had been so successful with my PC :confused: ). All that has been added that is new is a HDD &...

Blank screen [ 3 Answers ]

While on the internet my computer froze up and when I did control alt delete my screen went blank with all wavy lines. I shut the machine off and sbooted up again only to get the blank screen with wavy lines. No matter what I try I cannot get to my desktop. Can anyone help? :eek:

Blank screen at start-up [ 2 Answers ]

At each cold start, the screen remains blank. Only after two restarts or resets, screen comes up and everything works correctly.? Have put in another videocard (GF2) and then monitor display came up at first try. Then tried my videocard (GF4Ti4200) in another PC and worked properly as well....

Blank screen at start up [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently swopped hardware of a P133 PC with that of a P200 PC. What I really changed was the processor of the p200 and move a hard/dr from a P100. After connected properly, the screen just became blank. I have checked the memory modules, the h/d and all. Could the processors be dead? But...

View more questions Search