Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vincentla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2004, 09:32 PM
    Grammar problems
    Could someone help me to solve the following problems?

How long haven't you seen your parents?

My teacher told me that this question has some errors. But grammatically there's nothing wrong with the question at all. Is there something wrong with the word order or something else that I fail to pick up?

Thanks for your kindly help!
    EbonyKisses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 09:04 PM
    It should be...
    You wrote:

How long haven't you seen your parents?

It really should be: How long has it been since you've seen your parents?

:) hope that helps,
    EbonyKisses
    Harvey Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2005, 04:49 PM
    Grammar problems
    Try: "How long has it been since you've seen your parents?"
    Or: "How long has it been since you saw your parents?"
    A person of few words would probably say: "How long since you've seen your parents?" In actual speech, it's a rare person who speaks with grammatical precision and if you are portraying a character in a story you, as the author, have a right to make your characters speak any way you wish. Be careful, though, to be consistent, since your readers will pick up on it if you get careless.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Harvey
    wonder-kitten Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Hi,

That's a hard question, but I think the 1 of the reasons it's wrong is because haven't is have not, so the question sounds weird when you put it like this: How long have not you seen your parents? And that's the problem. Try something else like How has it been since you've seen your parents? Or When is the last time you have seen your parents. Hope this helps a little.
    -Nicole

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grammar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Do you say 'good at English' or 'good in English'? Which is which? Thanks.

Big Problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few big problems with a new computer I purchased. I would really like to know if I can fix these problems, or if I need to return the computer.

Need help with English Grammar [ 8 Answers ]

Q10. Which one of the following two sentences are correct. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one is equipped with the latest imaging technology. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one are equipped with the latest imaging technology.

Grammar [ 7 Answers ]

Hi!? Do you say "to the left/right of sth" or "on the right/left of". I found that both possibilities are correct. Is that right? Thank you

View more questions Search