Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helphelpinghelped Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Brown stains in grout
    Hello
    This is my first post to this site.
    I live in a 2 year old high rise (poured concrete) condo building.
    In one bath I have brown spots in the grout that disappear when I apply bleach but return in 3 days to a week in the same spots.
    I used a carbide grout scraper and removed as much of the grout I could get
    Out without breaking any tile loose then sealed and regrouted.
    Stains came back again. I soaked thin strips of cloth in bleach and put them directly on the stained grout and kept the cloths wet with fresh 40% bleach/water mix for a week. Stains came back. The stains in the grout are more common toward the wall rather than the bathtub nearby.
    There is a laundry room on the other side of the wall so I pulled out the washer and dryer to see there was any water leaks while the washer was being used. There were none it was as dry as a bone
    The water exit hose for the washers empties into a stand pipe in the wall and the nozzle on the exit hose is wire tied securely to the fresh water inlet hose so it does not flop around.
    We have owned the condo for two years and spend 6 months here during the winter.I would think if I had a mold problem in the wall it would have shown up in the drywall. There is no musty odor in the bath room either.
    Is it possible that the stand pipe might have a leak at the bottom of the wall?
    I do turn off the water when we leave for the summer/
    Any help or advice you can give me would be appreciated.
    Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2006, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helphelpinghelped
    Hello
    This is my first post to this site.
    I live in a 2 year old high rise (poured concrete) condo building.
    In one bath I have brown spots in the grout that disappear when I apply bleach but return in 3 days to a week in the same spots.
    I used a carbide grout scraper and removed as much of the grout I could get
    out without breaking any tile loose then sealed and regrouted.
    Stains came back again. I soaked thin strips of cloth in bleach and put them directly on the stained grout and kept the cloths wet with fresh 40% bleach/water mix for a week. Stains came back. The stains in the grout are more common toward the wall rather than the bathtub nearby.
    There is a laundry room on the other side of the wall so I pulled out the washer and dryer to see there was any water leaks while the washer was being used. There were none it was as dry as a bone
    The water exit hose for the washers empties into a stand pipe in the wall and the nozzle on the exit hose is wire tied securely to the fresh water inlet hose so it does not flop around.
    We have owned the condo for two years and spend 6 months here during the winter.I would think if I had a mold problem in the wall it would have shown up in the drywall. There is no musty odor in the bath room either.
    Is it possible that the stand pipe might have a leak at the bottom of the wall?
    I do turn off the water when we leave for the summer/
    Any help or advice you can give me would be appreciated.
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Did you open up the wall behind the tile wall and check for moisture? Brown usually indicate water stains that contain iron oxide, (rust). Let us know ehat you find. Good luck, Tom

Apr 24, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Thanks for your quick response
    This wall is not a tile wall it is just drywall. I am trying to get a look at the inside of this wall. I do have a borescope coming that will permit me to get a view of the space between the drywall without opening up the wall.
    I am hoping that there is no leak there and no mold as well.
    I would think in two years any mold in that wall would have shown up on either side of the drywall by now. Wouldn't you?

Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Hi Tom,
    If the wall isn't tiled what's grouted? Cheers, Tom

Apr 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
    I didn't tell you that the floor in the bathroom is tiled.
    Sorry
    Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helphelpinghelped
    Thanks for your quick response
    This wall is not a tile wall it is just drywall. I am trying to get a look at the inside of this wall. I do have a borescope coming that will permit me to get a view of the space between the drywall without opening up the wall.
    I am hoping that there is no leak there and no mold as well.
    I would think in two years any mold in that wall would have shown up on either side of the drywall by now. Wouldn't you?

Tom
    Let me know what you find in there. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medium Reddish Brown to Light Brown [ 3 Answers ]

I had been coloring my hair a medium copper brown for about a year. The last time I colored 3 months ago I used medium gold brown. My hair is less red, but still has red undertones. I would like to go to a light golden brown. Is there anyway I can do this without ending up looking like Bozo? Am...

Maltese tear stains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?

Stains [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that semen stains look crusty in appearannce, while drool stains are just translucent, on like fabrics?

Easiest effective way to remove stains? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I have some staining on my teeth. I would like to do the least amount of work to get rid of them. I would also like to not use something unhealthful if possible. Something I can buy over the counter. Rembrandt? Crest strips? Other? What really works and what is the easiest?

Deck Stains [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks can any one point me in the right direction in choosing a good deck stain... Something that will. LAST... Thanks much...

View more questions Search