Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Student Loan "Forgiveness"? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=848370)

• Aug 24, 2021, 07:12 AM
    jlisenbe
    Student Loan "Forgiveness"?
    Saw this posted on Facebook. "Student loans are preventing people from buying homes, starting businesses, and so much more. Forgiving student loan debt and making college affordable and accessible can fix our broken system."

Something seems funny about this subject. No one ever says, "Hey, guys. Let's all pitch in ten grand and help these poor souls pay off their debts." There is always just the idea of "forgiveness". Well, money doesn't work that way. We will all end up paying for it one way or the other. It would be much more accurate, though less popular, to put it this way. ""Student loans are preventing people from buying homes, starting businesses, and so much more. Forcing other people to pay off these loans by government force and making college affordable and accessible in the same manner (money taken by law from others) can fix our broken system."
  • Aug 24, 2021, 10:02 AM
    Wondergirl
    And why is college so "necessary"? I didn't need my B.A. when I worked as a State Farm bodily-injury secretary. (I just had to know how to spell and do business typing.) I didn't need my B.A. when I worked as a PT assistant at a hospital. (I received training on site.) I didn't need my B.A. when I worked first as a clerk, then graduated to manager at a drug store. I didn't need a B.A. to start and run (still running) my own business.

My vote is for vocational guidance and training! Then student loan forgiveness won't be such a burden, an issue.
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:06 AM
    jlisenbe
    You said of lot of truth. A college degree can be valuable, but learning a job is the main thing. When I talk with a high schooler, they will usually say, "I'm going to college to study XYZ." When I then ask them what they want to do post-college, they frequently have no idea.

How's the hubster doing?
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:15 AM
    tomder55
    I am in sympathy . They have lemon laws when the seller knows they are selling a corrupt bad deal that was made worse by government guarantees . I just don't see wealth redistribution as the answer . I paid off what little I borrowed . I did not borrow because I worked in high school and throughout my college years .
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:19 AM
    jlisenbe
    " I paid off what little I borrowed . I did not borrow..." Huh?

I sympathize with them as well. They were sold a bill of goods, but I don't agree with forcing other Americans to step in for them. We need a different approach to college educations.
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:25 AM
    tomder55
    meant to say did not borrow much .....less than 2 years of college expenses . Loans were private .

I did not qualify for whatever assistance was available ;or maybe I did and did not look hard enough for them. I don't recall which.

Turns out that the jobs I took while going to college were more helpful to me then my course work in my ultimate career path .
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:27 AM
    waltero
    Quote:

We need a different approach to college educations.
    How about good old fashion "Hard Work."
    Kids go to College for the "College experience." Do you want to know what the College experience is?
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:30 AM
    jlisenbe
    I worked summer and part-time jobs. My parents chipped in and helped out as well. I ended up with no debt when I got out. It never occurred to me to go and borrow money.
  • Aug 24, 2021, 11:38 AM
    waltero
    What do kids know about borrowing (about as much as they know about hard work)? They offered you loads of money if you go to College, yuppie...sign me up!!!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!
  • Aug 24, 2021, 12:04 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    We need a different approach to college educations.

Like I said above, much more emphasis on vocational guidance and training is needed.

AND colleges and universities must stop making retired professors and retired area businessmen their higher-ed CEOs and VPs that are paid a hefty salary -- to do what???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    How's the hubster doing?

Yesterday was great, today less so. Hot and very humid here. That doesn't help at all.
  • Aug 24, 2021, 12:16 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Yesterday was great, today less so. Hot and very humid here. That doesn't help at all.
    God bless you both. Life can be difficult, but God is faithful.