Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Why Are So Many Refusing Vaccination? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=848300)

• Aug 7, 2021, 05:39 PM
    jlisenbe
    The point is that young people are far less likely to be hospitalized or die.
  • Aug 7, 2021, 05:55 PM
    paraclete
    The point is that no infection can be allowed to run rampant, whether in the young or the old, this is why these superspreader events are stupid
  • Aug 8, 2021, 12:54 PM
    tomder55
    so is the military going to fire on the lockdown protesters in Sydney ?
  • Aug 8, 2021, 01:01 PM
    jlisenbe
    In Australia I would not be surprised.
  • Aug 8, 2021, 01:56 PM
    jlisenbe
    Obama's party and the maskless crowd attending. I'm sure all of the pro-maskers on this site will express their shock and dismay. [sarc]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1424373805296889856
  • Aug 8, 2021, 03:59 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    so is the military going to fire on the lockdown protesters in Sydney ?

That superspreader event is over, the threat of a strong police response was sufficient to put an end to that foolishness which was pushed on a gullible public by rabble rousers
  • Aug 8, 2021, 04:07 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

the threat of a strong police response was sufficient to put an end to that foolishness which was pushed on a gullible public by rabble rousers
    Land of the somewhat free.
  • Aug 8, 2021, 11:32 PM
    paraclete
    vaccination is an issue, but will we ever get another vacation away from home? given my advanced age, I suspect it is unlikely
  • Aug 9, 2021, 04:35 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

vaccination is an issue, but will we ever get another vacation away from home? given my advanced age, I suspect it is unlikely
    That's very unfortunate. I hope you get a dozen more.
  • Aug 9, 2021, 04:51 AM
    tomder55
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Had I followed il duce's strict travel requirements I never would've had the time or opportunity to find my home in SC.
  • Aug 9, 2021, 05:55 AM
    tomder55
    Epidemiologists speaking of Iceland with it's over 90% vaccination rate says that herd immunity will not be achieved by immunizations . It will come from viral transmission.
  • Aug 9, 2021, 07:51 AM
    jlisenbe
    I wonder if they are taking into account the rate at which this virus is mutating?
  • Aug 9, 2021, 08:46 PM
    paraclete
    How do you take that into account?
  • Aug 10, 2021, 04:21 AM
    jlisenbe
    By realizing that the Trump vaccine might very well not be effective against every variant. If that is the case, then herd immunity is a fantasy.
  • Aug 10, 2021, 04:40 AM
    tomder55
    It is effective within vaccine norms and more effective than some . As an example ,the flu vaccine has about a 60% efficacy. But it does not last long. That is why Pfizer is promoting a booster ;and Israel is giving booster shots to high risk population . Despite that the Delta cases in Israel continue to go up .
    I am pretty sure that all the vax makers are hard at work tweeking their vaccine to make them into a Delta vax
  • Aug 10, 2021, 05:57 AM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    then herd immunity is a fantasy.

Herd immunity is a fantasy, a bed time story for the sheeple. There is no herd immunity to the common cold, there is no herd immunity to influenza, there is no herd immunity to SARS.

Those who cannot cope with the virus will leave us. Immunisation will mean less will die
  • Aug 10, 2021, 07:02 AM
    tomder55
    Here immunity is not 100% immunity . Herd immunity is when enough people have immunity then most of those who encounter someone who has a virus will not get sick. There are many examples of herd immunity ....polio ,measles ,chicken pox are rare these days .

There is no real herd immunity with mutating viruses like the flu ,common cold or Sars Covid appears the be in this group .
  • Aug 10, 2021, 07:39 AM
    jlisenbe
    Likely the greatest example of herd immunity is smallpox which has been essentially wiped out. But it does not reside in animals and seemed not to mutate, so the small pox vax was very effective. Covid is a different animal.
  • Aug 11, 2021, 04:52 PM
    tomder55
    From a survey conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh .5 million adults surveyed .

Quote:

The association between hesitancy and education level followed a U-shaped curve with the lowest hesitancy among those with a master’s degree (RR=0.75 [95% CI 0.72-0.78] and the highest hesitancy among those with a PhD (RR=2.16 [95%CI 2.05-2.28]) or ≤high school education(RR=1.88 [95%CI 1.83-1.93]) versus a bachelor’s degree.
    Time trends and factors related to COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy from January-May 2021 among US adults: Findings from a large-scale national survey | medRxiv

Every other education level group grew less hesitant over time, those with Ph.D.s never wavered in their hesitancy
  • Aug 11, 2021, 07:28 PM
    paraclete
    In the rush to achieve the myth of herd immunity other more dangerous side effects like heart disease and MS may result from vaccines available fighting covid is like fighting climate change the modelling has taken over