Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Why did so many people die of influenza in the Wild West? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=815806)

• Sep 2, 2015, 06:15 PM
    misspurple77
    Why did so many people die of influenza in the Wild West?
    I am watching Dr. Quin Medicine woman and a lot of people are dying because of influenza.

Nowadays it isn't that dangerous anymore. Is that because of acetaminophen/paracetamol, or acetylsalicyl acid, which made it easier for us to control the fever? Because we are better informed about what to do: like keeping patients hydrated?
  • Sep 2, 2015, 06:45 PM
    J_9
    Medications that are available today weren't available then. Hygiene is better now as well. Medicine has come a long way since then. There were more deaths during childbirth than there are now as well.
  • Sep 2, 2015, 06:52 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Medications that are available today weren't available then. Hygiene is better now as well. Medicine has come a long way since then. There were more deaths during childbirth than there are now as well.

Thank you. But in the case of influenza, does taking a shower instead of a spongebath really makes that much of a difference? And is aceminatophen/paracetamol and acetylsalicyc acid really that much more better and effective than kinine was?

Because even nowadays, there still isn't much that can be done against the flu. Or am I missing something here? Are the vaccinations saving that much lifes? I never been vaccinated against the flu myself.
  • Sep 2, 2015, 07:23 PM
    J_9
    Hand washing is what makes a difference. Hydration does as well. Yes, vaccinations save lives, but some people still get the flu. Tylenol and Motrin relieve symptoms, but are not cures.

I get vaccinated yearly. I have to or my choice is to wear a surgical mask for each 12 hour shift, or not work at all. I haven't had the flu in almost 8 years and I'm exposed to it.
  • Sep 2, 2015, 07:50 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Hand washing is what makes a difference. Hydration does as well. Yes, vaccinations save lives, but some people still get the flu. Tylenol and Motrin relieve symptoms, but are not cures.

I get vaccinated yearly. I have to or my choice is to wear a surgical mask for each 12 hour shift, or not work at all. I haven't had the flu in almost 8 years and I'm exposed to it.

I used to work as a secretary, in an office, so I didn't need to get vaccinated. I had the flu in 2012 and in 2001 and I can't remember the last time before that.
  • Sep 2, 2015, 08:05 PM
    J_9
    You also have to remember that the sow you are watching is pure fiction. Much of us was elaborated to garner ratings.
  • Sep 2, 2015, 09:03 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Many people seldom took baths, and washing your hands was just seldom done either.

Also most smaller towns did not have doctors, and those that did, the doctors were often poorly trained. Most treatments were home treatments or herbs and roots and things.
  • Sep 3, 2015, 11:50 AM
    LearningAsIGo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by misspurple77 View Post
    Thank you. But in the case of influenza, does taking a shower instead of a spongebath really makes that much of a difference? And is aceminatophen/paracetamol and acetylsalicyc acid really that much more better and effective than kinine was?

Because even nowadays, there still isn't much that can be done against the flu. Or am I missing something here? Are the vaccinations saving that much lifes? I never been vaccinated against the flu myself.

Specifically regarding sponge baths vs. showers

Back then, sponges and bath water was often shared. One person may bathe, then the next without getting fresh water or sponges. Showers, of course, wash the dirty water off immediately, opposed to baths where the dirty water sits stagnant.