Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Immigration Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Retail theft and Green card (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=811873)

• May 16, 2015, 11:43 PM
    islamik
    Retail theft and Green card
    Hi, in Jnuary 2011, I've been caught on a shoplifting charge for $15 worth of merchandise in Pennsylvania , the store manager had called the cops.

The cops arrested me and was taken to police dept. and got photographed, fingerprinted.

18& 3929 &&A1 (LEAD)

I plead guilty and paid $188 chrages. Mailed the money order to the court and tha was it. The lady told me on the phone that it is all I had to do. It was Fines: $50 and Costs: $138(by the way what is the difference between costs and fines?).

Im about to apply for adjustment of status through the marriage to a citizen of US.

It is the only crime that I have done in my entire life.

My question is , how is it going to affect my adjustment of status in USCIS ?

Thank you very Much.
  • May 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Fine, is penalty for breaking the law. Cost, price to operate court, judges, lawyers, clerks, building.

It can have a negative effect, since they will consider if you were doing other crimes and just not caught.
  • May 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
    smoothy
    That can very well cost you the chance at a green card. Because they know most people caught do it many times before they are caught.

YOU have to wait and see if it will.
  • May 17, 2015, 10:27 AM
    ma0641
    So you paid 10X the cost of what you stole and may very well lose your chance at a green card. Sounds like common sense did not prevail.
  • May 17, 2015, 01:22 PM
    lawanwadee
    Do not proceed on I-485 on your own, get the best immigration attorney you could find.
  • May 17, 2015, 07:45 PM
    CYRAXDIAZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Do not proceed on I-485 on your own, get the best immigration attorney you could find.

I went through the same process to obtain my green card, I used an attorney to file the first part of the process, but it seemed to me that she did exactly what I would have done anyway, about your specific case you might have a shot since it was a non-violent crime and you paid your dues, OK on a second thought yes you need an attorney.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYRAXDIAZ View Post
    I went through the same process to obtain my green card, I used an attorney to file the first part of the process, but it seemed to me that she did exactly what I would have done anyway, about your specific case you might have a shot since it was a non-violent crime and you paid your dues, OK on a second thought yes you need an attorney.

Catholic Charities have immigration lawyers that can help you for a lot less than you would pay another attorney
  • Jul 7, 2015, 11:11 AM
    NYcityboy
    I agree that you should consult an experienced immigration attorney, Generally a theft offense is a CIMT, but depending on the state statute, it may come under the petty offense exception.
  • Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Fine, is penalty for breaking the law. Cost, price to operate court, judges, lawyers, clerks, building.

Actually, costs are what the plaintiff (the prosecution, in a criminal case such as this) has expended in the specific case. Filing fees, service of process, and such. Costs recovered in an individual case can, I suppose, find their way to pay the court's overhead (the expenses you describe), but not necessarily. And "lawyers" would normally be something else too.

NYcityboy, this thread is almost two months old, with nothing new in it but our posts. It would be best to leave it be.
  • Jul 8, 2015, 07:14 AM
    NYcityboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Actually, costs are what the plaintiff (the prosecution, in a criminal case such as this) has expended in the specific case. Filing fees, service of process, and such. Costs recovered in an individual case can, I suppose, find their way to pay the court's overhead (the expenses you describe), but not necessarily. And "lawyers" would normally be something else too.

NYcityboy, this thread is almost two months old, with nothing new in it but our posts. It would be best to leave it be.

AK, just trying to help, for others with similar situations that are reading and may not want to post.