Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Scholarships & Financial Aid (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=287)
-   -   Legitimate scholarship site? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=748311)

• May 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
    catlady23
    Legitimate scholarship site?
    Is there even such a thing? I've explored many "scholarship" sites lately, seems a total scam. Anyone know of a legitimate scholarship site?
  • May 10, 2013, 09:51 AM
    JudyKayTee
    There are many - where are you looking? What major?

What Country?
  • May 10, 2013, 09:54 AM
    catlady23
    A scholarship- transferring student, and Education/art major.

America :)
  • May 10, 2013, 10:16 AM
    JudyKayTee
    The US is a big Country - anywhere in particular?
  • May 10, 2013, 10:26 AM
    catlady23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The US is a big Country - anywhere in particular?

Ahh. :) Texas
  • May 10, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Wondergirl
    Transferring to a four-year college or university from a community college?
  • May 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
    catlady23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Transferring to a four-year college or university from a community college?

To a university, from a community college.
  • May 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
    Wondergirl
    You might want to read a book and write a winning essay to get scholarship money -- Essay Contests -- Ayn Rand Novels.

Your school guidance office should have all sorts of information for you about scholarships and also be able to give you links to reputable scholarship sites. Don't overlook local scholarships with the Rotary or Kiwanis or Lions, etc. I got one through my life insurance company.

What my son did was apply to three colleges that he figured out he wanted to go to for Creative Writing and then negotiated with each one (after he was accepted) to find out which one would offer him the best deal in scholarships and grants.
  • May 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
    catlady23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You might want to read a book and write a winning essay to get scholarship money -- Essay Contests -- Ayn Rand Novels.

Your school guidance office should have all sorts of information for you about scholarships and also be able to give you links to reputable scholarship sites. Don't overlook local scholarships with the Rotary or Kiwanis or Lions, etc. I got one through my life insurance company.

What my son did was apply to three colleges that he figured out he wanted to go to for Creative Writing and then negotiated with each one (after he was accepted) to find out which one would offer him the best deal in scholarships and grants.

This was helpful, thank you!
  • May 11, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    First you do not pay for scholarships, the university you attend will normally have a list of most available ones there, plus information on Government grants and loans.
    Also if one of your parents are members, the VFW and American Legion normally have programs for small amounts. As do other groups, where you may have memberships