Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Wiring Honeywell RTH230B (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=69441)

• Mar 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
    helpplz
    Wiring Honeywell RTH230B
    The wiring out of my wall for my thermostat is Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, and white

My old nonprogrammable thermostat's wiring was connected by

C (blue),R (red),G(green),Y(Yellow),W(white)

My new Honeywell RTH230B has connections for

Rh, Rc, G, Y, W

My question is which R connections do my blue and red wires connect to? Does the red one connect to Rc? Does the blue connect to Rh?

Thanks so much!
  • Mar 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
    ballengerb1
    The Rh and Rc get shorted to each other, check the instructions for this. They both go to the red. I am assuming you have a gas furnace with ac. G, Y and W are the same on the new unit as your old one.
  • Mar 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Rasheeda
    I currently have a WHITE-RODGERS THERMOSTAT.
    I want to install a HONEYWELL RTH230B.
    There are 4 wires: red,white,black & green from the wall.
    Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G
    THANKS, RS
  • Mar 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
    helpplz
    Thanks Ballengerb1 for the help. You are correct assumiing we have a gas furnace. We plan on not connecting the blue wire at all and capping it off. Is this correct? Thanks!!
  • Mar 6, 2007, 07:43 PM
    labman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasheeda
    I currently have a WHITE-RODGERS THERMOSTAT.
    I want to install a HONEYWELL RTH230B.
    There are 4 wires: red,white,black & green from the wall.
    Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G
    THANKS, RS

A standard thermostat cable has a yellow wire connecting the Y terminals at the furnace and thermostat, and then running out to the coil of the A/C relay. If the black wire was connected to the Y terminal of the WR thermostat, just connect it to the Y terminal of the Honeywell. The red is connected to the RH and RC.

Otherwise, is your system and heat pump? If you aren't sure, check the sticky at the top of the forum. If so, read the directions for the thermostat very carefully. It may not work with a heat pump.
  • Mar 7, 2007, 08:10 AM
    ballengerb1
    Rasheda, same answer as the one given to helpplz. "Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G" Rh and Rc both go to red, W is white , Y is yellow anf G is for green. As with helpplz, I am assuming you have gas hot air with a/c.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 05:38 PM
    boyshanks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Rasheda, same answer as the one given to helpplz. "Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G" Rh and Rc both go to red, W is white , Y is yellow anf G is for green. As with helpplz, I am assuming you have gas hot air with a/c.

:confused:
    FOLLOW UP:

Same question however we have an ELECTRIC FURNACE.

The previous thermostat wiring used the blue wire. In this Honeywell RTH 230 do you connect the blue wire to the Rh or Rc? I have a Carrier Furnace and the blue wire is connected at the furnace on the common 24V screw.

I only have one red wire, so what do you mean when you say, the Rh and Rc both go to red? This is not a screw connection but the wires feed down into individual slots. The Rh and Rc were jumpered however the directions said to remove this for a 2 or 5 wire installation.

I have 5 wires -- Red, blue, White, Yellow, Green. I did label them from the previous t stat and the blue wire has a tag on it that says 'C'. I hope that helps.

Thanks in advance :)