Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Religious Discussions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485)
-   -   How can you convince someone to believe in God? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=568987)

• Apr 8, 2011, 11:51 PM
    stacky1
    How can you convince someone to believe in God?
    I need some advice. I have a friend that doesn't believe in God. She grew up Catholic but doesn't really believe in God anymore. She says that she never really actually ever did. She says that she wants to believe in God but she just can't wrap her mind around the idea of Him. She can't make her self imagine what He is like or how anything He did is possible or anything so she can't believe in something that she can't fathom. (I hope that makes sense.) She says that its even sometimes hard to believe the bible cause its just like a bunch of stories. How can I help her to believe? How can I make God more real to her?
    Please help.
    Thanks
  • Apr 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stacky1 View Post
    she just can't wrap her mind around the idea of Him.

Neither can the rest of us.
    Quote:

She can't make her self imagine what He is like or how anything He did is possible or anything so she can't believe in something that she can't fathom.
    That's what faith is -- believing even in the face of impossibility.
    Quote:

the bible cause its just like a bunch of stories
    They are stories about people who didn't believe or thought they couldn't believe or didn't want to believe, but something happened and faith came into their hearts.
    Quote:

How can I help her to believe? How can I make God more real to her?
    Be a good example. Be kind to others. Treat animals respectfully. Don't make fun of anyone. Pick up trash you see lying on the ground. Help people who need help -- open doors, carry things, wave to babies and little children, visit an older person in your neighborhood and listen to stories about the olden days, go to church and Sunday School, don't use bad language or hang around people who do, get a kids' Bible story book (simply written with nice pictures) from the library and read it together with her, then talk about what you read. Each story will have a major truth. See if the two of you can figure it out.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 06:52 AM
    dwashbur

Any God worthy of the name is going to be beyond our comprehension, because if he's just a being like us, what good is he? The Bible is an attempt to describe the indescribable, because our language will never be able to give us an accurate picture. It's the finite trying to describe the infinite, which just doesn't work. So instead we have stories of how God interacts with people. The stories reassure us that God cares about us, loves us, and wants a relationship with us.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 07:06 AM
    ScottGem

My question to you is why is this so important to you. Why are you concerned whether she believes or not? If she is asking you for help to believe, the only thing you can do is explain what faith is and how your faith makes you feel better.

If she isn't asking for your help, then don't push your beliefs on her.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
    stacky1

OK well maybe I wasn't entirely truthful when I asked the question. The friend is actually me. I'm ashamed that I don't believe in god cause I was raised catholic and was involved in a lot of activities in college and all my friends are really religious, but I'm not. I more or less just go through the motions cause its what your suppose to do. I can't wrap my mind around the idea of god and all that he could have done enough to actually believe in him. Like I can't imagine something like that. Like all the stuff just seems more like stories to me. Like you know when we were little and we believed in santa clause, and he was the guy that brang us presents on christmas if we were good, well sometimes that's almost what it seems like with god. That its all a big story. Kind of like a story to try to make everyone be better people. And I want to believe in god... but I just can't make myself.

And now that I've made myself sound like a horiable person, especially on a religious forum, I hope that what I said kind of makes sense and someone can give me some advice as what I should do or help me in any way

Thanks
  • Apr 9, 2011, 02:58 PM
    ScottGem

Why do you think you sound like a horrible person? You are not the first person who has grown up to question that faith is enough to believe in a god. And you won't be the last.

Personally, I think you are a rational, intelligent person who has decided that you can't accept something on faith alone. That you need more than just the possibility and promise of salvation, afterlife etc. to believe. This is NOTHING to be ashamed of. There are many people who believe as you do just as there are many who find comfort in having faith in the alleged word of god.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

i want to believe in god...but i just can't make myself.

That's the beauty of faith! None of us have "made" ourselves believe. God loves us, all of us, and finds a way to come into each heart.

Maybe your asking about this is God's way of coming into your heart because "doubts are the ants-in-the-pants of faith." Doubts and questions are good. Try what I had suggested -- help other people in various ways and also read some of those Bible stories to find ONE truth in each one.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 03:46 PM
    Fr_Chuck

First we can understand what God is, or what he looks like or how he operates, He has appeared as smoke, as fire, as shadow and more. Also one could not even start accepting the bible if one does not even think God exists.

But part of the issue is that we have to stop trying to out think God, to try and find a box he has to fit in. He can't and won't fit into a model of anything we can understand.
  • Apr 9, 2011, 05:22 PM
    Alty

You don't sound like a horrible person.

If you're just going through the motions then you're only doing yourself injustice.

Believing in God doesn't make you a good person. Not believing doesn't make you a bad person. As long as you live your life the best you can, are kind to people, do your best to be a good human being, that's what counts.

If believing in God is important to you then explore other possibilities, other religions. Maybe it's just Catholicism that's standing in your way. Maybe another religion will make more sense to you. If not, then don't be so hard on yourself. You're not alone. There are many that don't believe in the bible or God and they're still wonderful people that go on to live wonderful lives. :)
  • Apr 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
    stacky1

You I'm a good person, but what if there is a god(cause there probably is, otherwise so many people are praying to no one and going to church for no reason) and then I go and don't believe in him(cause I'm dumb and can't just accept the fact that I just need to believe in something I cant), then there turns out to believe a heaven and hell, I don't want to have to spend eternity in hell just cause I was stuborn or something and didn't believe in god
  • Apr 9, 2011, 07:43 PM
    ScottGem

I believe that any god that might exist will judge a person on how they lived, not how they worship. In my opinion any god that requires someone to worship a specific way to get salvation is not a just god.

Yes there are many people who believe but there are also many different beliefs, if there is only one god, why would so many different religions exist?

So you need to decide what is more important to you!
  • Apr 9, 2011, 09:26 PM
    dwashbur

You're not a horrible person. You're a normal person. We all have questions at various times. I've come close to losing my faith, but two things kept me from it: first, there has to be a creator of some kind. All this had to get here somehow. Regression only goes so far, and eventually you have to get to the so-called "uncaused cause." There are lots of potential rational arguments against that, but all they do is push the question further back. I figure, may as well save time and go to the uncaused cause directly.

Second, history supports the likelihood that Jesus of Nazareth died and rose again. Other explanations of the event just don't hold water. The only reasonable explanation that takes all the facts into account is the one that defies explanation: it happened. And that event has far-reaching implications. Those can be worked out over time, but those two facts kept me holding on until I came out the other end of the crisis.

They may or may not work for you; the key is to find your own anchor to hold on to. You can get through this and come out with your faith stronger. One major question to ask yourself is: WHY do the stories etc. give you so much trouble? What is it about them, or are there particular ones that you have problems with, that sort of thing. Getting to the "why" of things goes a long way toward helping you deal with them. And we'll help if we can.
  • Apr 10, 2011, 03:18 AM
    HeadStrongBoy
    Quote:

stacky1: "...there turns out to believe a heaven and hell, i dont want to have to spend eternity in hell just cause i was stuborn or something and didnt believe in god"
    OK stacky1, here's my two cents worth. I find the expression "believing in God" less than helpful. It's the kind of phrase that children use. Believing that God exists, rather than believing He doesn't exist simply makes one a theist rather than an atheist. And don't get me wrong, the people on this site are very religious. That's the result of their believing in God, in Jesus, etc.

Now about hell. The correct meaning of 'hell' is simply the grave. Not eternal torture.

About faith. To escape death we need the kind of faith that God gives. Just deciding to believe because I want to go to heaven is not the answer.
  • Apr 10, 2011, 04:04 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

ok well maybe i wasnt entirely truthful when i asked the question. the friend is actually me. im ashamed that i dont believe in god cause i was raised catholic and was involved in alot of activities in college and all my friends are really religious, but im not.

It's OK to feel that way - that how I was when I was young. As I grew up, met people from around the world, got a great education, I found I didn't need religion and that many of those that profess to be religious were no better than the non-religious types. I decided that I was agnostic and it lived my life as I see fit. Please don't beat yourself up around the guilt issue, that isn't healthy, plus those who give you grief about your decision need to accept you as you are, as a person not a member of a group. Good luck.
  • Apr 11, 2011, 06:59 AM
    classyT

Stacky,

The bible says that even the demons believe in God and tremble. Believing in a creator is a start but it is what you believe about God and who you believe God is that counts.

The only way we ever come to God is by Faith. And the Bible says faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. Pick up the Bible and read it, or find a good ministry to listen to. It will increase your faith.
  • Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 PM
    Riot

God loves you and wants you to grow, what your doing is not the "wrong" thing, its just another step to becoming a growing christain. Seek out fellow christians, pray for direction from god, you'll see a change.
    And yes, as Classyt says, "The only way we ever come to God is by Faith."
    If you question it too much, it just slows you down
  • Apr 23, 2011, 09:13 AM
    Hope12
    Hello,

Show your friend that such thing as a camera, computer or a telephone had to have an intelligent maker, how much more would our eyes, brains and ears need a far superior intelligent maker.

Ps. 19:1: “The heavens are declaring the glory of God; and of the work of his hands the expanse is telling.”
    Ps. 104:24: “How many your works are, O Jehovah? All of them in wisdom you have made. The earth is full of your productions.”
    Rom. 1:20: “His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made.”

The Universe alone gives witness to a Creator. Who holds the sun just the right distance from the earth, so the earth and we don't burn up?

Peace.
    Hope 12
  • Apr 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Synnen
    Have you LOOKED at other religions? Have you researched other belief systems?

Why are you pushing yourself to believe in a SPECIFIC god? Trying to MAKE yourself believe is just silly--either you do or you don't.

Would you push someone into believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy if they didn't? Would you push yourself into believing in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy?

Well, why are you forcing yourself to believe in God?

I think what you need to do is get out there and find out what you can about your own religion and about all the other religions out there, and then see what you actually DO believe and don't believe, and decide from there what you should do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    And don't get me wrong, the people on this site are very religious. That's the result of their believing in God, in Jesus, etc.

And just want to point out that being very religious isn't linked to believing in God and Jesus. Some of us believe in Allah or Astarte or Buddha or Shiva, or Cernanos or Diana, and we're JUST as religious as those that believe in the Christian God and Jesus.
  • Apr 26, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Synnen

How about answering the OP's question, and taking the theological debate to another thread, please?
  • Apr 27, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Synnen

I will say this ONE LAST TIME.

Take your theological debates to a Members Discussions thread.

THIS thread is to answer the OP's question.

If you can't stick to THAT topic, I WILL delete your posts--just like I already have cleaned some of them up.

Thank you.