Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   I'm a military dependent but don't know my rights... where should I go? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=515024)

• Oct 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
    cgbc43
    I'm a military dependent but don't know my rights... where should I go?
    We married in Alaska , now he is in seattle and I'm not with him... what steps should I take next?
  • Oct 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
    cgbc43
    I'm a military dependent but don't know my rights... where should I go?
    Can I go and report my husband for abandonment at the US embassy in my country?
  • Oct 9, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Fr_Chuck

There is no way to "void" a marriage without going to court. And a marriage in Alaska is valid anywhere.

You need to divorce him if you are now not living together.
  • Oct 9, 2010, 09:08 AM
    cgbc43
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I live in another country,and I have a lot of things still with him that I want to get back. Can I report him to the US embassy in my country?
  • Oct 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
    AK lawyer

You are the wife of a U.S. serviceman? Where are you located. Are you a non-U.S. national? Where were you married? Do you have children by your husband?

Might not do any good to report him to the U.S. embassy.

Report him to his commanding officer.
  • Oct 9, 2010, 03:24 PM
    cgbc43
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Yes I am.. got married in fort richardson ak.almost 5 months ago. I have to leave Alaska to attend a wedding then got a call from him saying our marriage is void and for me not to return in Alaska. He is now in Seattle to join another unit .
  • Oct 9, 2010, 03:29 PM
    cgbc43
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I don't know which unit he's joining , and I don't know his commanding officer , where should I ask?
  • Oct 9, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Posts merged,

It is also possible he is not moving posts, but you should have a dependent ID correct and visa to enter the country ? There is nothing stoping you from coming back.

But obviously he wants a divorce so best to file for divorce and ask for your things back.

But yes you can start with a local military base or embassy
  • Oct 10, 2010, 01:57 AM
    cgbc43
    My dependent id is with him... I can enter the country since I have a visa.
  • Oct 10, 2010, 02:18 AM
    cgbc43
    I know I'm in his orders,and supposed to sign in Monday at fort lewis
    Who do I contact at the base to know his wherabouts? I know he is hiding from me and his responsibilities... how do I ask for financial support? He made me lose my job now I can't find him...
  • Oct 10, 2010, 03:53 AM
    cgbc43
    Can you obtain an Alaskan ID even if you're not a US citizen?
  • Oct 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
    Fr_Chuck

What is your status in the US, are you living in Alaska ?
  • Oct 10, 2010, 07:41 AM
    Fr_Chuck

Contact the nearest base and embassy, ask the base to re-issue you the ID, explain you have lost yours.

Also give them the entire story, they will locate him for you, after they verify the facts
  • Oct 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
    cgbc43
    I'm a tourist in Alaska
  • Oct 10, 2010, 05:09 PM
    cgbc43
    I am now in Jakarta Indonesia... ok. Thank you so much.
  • Oct 10, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Ok if you are merely a tourist you can not get a ID card since you are not a resident there.

What country you are from, ( I guess you are on a tourist visa?? )

So you will have your passport from your country which is a legal ID and should be accepted for anything you need in Alaska
  • Oct 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
    cgbc43
    Entered Alaska as a tourist.. got married there 5 months ago... I have our marriage certificate with me.
  • Oct 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
    cgbc43
    The reason I ask was because I do have an alaskan ID. From Indonesia. And yes on a tourist visa.
    cgbc43
    Can I show my alaskan ID at the embassy ?
    Fr_Chuck

OK, so you need to change your immigration status.
    I would hire an immigration attorney. Since you should not have gotten married on a touist visa but needed to leave and have it changed to the correct visa to stay.