Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1998 honda civic catalytic converter cleaned out after getting 420 converter code... (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=507986)

• Sep 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
    HAMDAYS
    1998 honda civic catalytic converter cleaned out after getting 420 converter code...
    Had converter cleaned out until there was nothing left! Car ran like a dream first day.. since that time about 6 days now.. progressively driving with less gumption although it hasn't tried to die on me---brother is supposed to be doing something with the downstream 02 sensor this weekend.. any ideas? Already had distributor in Honda housing, coil, control module, plugs, wires, fuel filter, leaky valve gasket on engine.and upstream 02 sensor..?
  • Sep 16, 2010, 06:45 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey

For the oxygen sensors and engine to work properly, you need to install a new catalytic converter. The fine for removing a converter, in some states, is very high.
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
    HAMDAYS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    For the oxygen sensors and engine to work properly, you need to install a new catalytic converter. The fine for removing a converter, in some states, is very high.

I understand you are concerned about the legal issue. My brother is in law enforcement! Anyway, there is not way I can afford a new catalytic converter at this time no matter how I juggle the #s. After reading some other posts--sometimes a new converter didn't solve their problem that's what Im worried about.. I cannot shell out $800 (best price w/labor) and then not have problem resolved... thanks for your replies
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey

Your brother may now have to lock you up!
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:30 AM
    HAMDAYS

Funny!ha ha! Well here is another question: why does there have to be a new converter for it to work well with the engine? Im curious. Didn't they use to make cars without them? and Honda ones?
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:34 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey

It screws up the interface between the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors and the ECM. This affects fuel control.
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
    HAMDAYS

Thanks, I'll let my brother know.. he says he is going to do "something" to the downstream 02 to get me working until I can get one.. he's got a lot of mechanic friends. Wish he had one that would sell me a good quality car w/o a computer or converter for cheap!! ha ha!
  • Sep 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
    HAMDAYS

Ps as you can surmise.. we don't have emissions testing in our State right now..
  • Sep 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
    HAMDAYS

Also--do you really think that a new converter is an absolute must? Im just concerned about other posts that it didn't resolve it..?
  • Sep 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey

I do. You can call you local Honda dealer for a second opinion, which you should do.