Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   I have a 220 spa that keeps kicking the ground fault instantly. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=502455)

• Aug 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
    kljland
    I have a 220 spa that keeps kicking the ground fault instantly.
    My 220 spa keeps kicking the ground fault in the disconnect instantly. I thought it was the spa so I unhooked the wires at the breaker that run to the spa and it is still kicking off instantly. I then replaced the ground fault breaker at a cost of 100 and it is still kicking. I am at a loss. Could it be the disconnect box that the breaker is in or the wire from the house panel to the ground fault breaker. The breaker in the house panel is not kicking.
  • Aug 27, 2010, 07:37 PM
    hkstroud

Is the GFCI in the panel or is it in the disconnect box?
  • Aug 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
    tkrussell
    How/where is the white neutral pigtail of the GFI breaker connected?

Photos will be a big help.
  • Aug 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
    kljland

The breaker is in the disconnect. The white neutral is run to a ground bar in the disconnect panel. Not the same bar as the copper ground.

I have a picture just cannot seem to get it into this post. If you know how I will gladly post it.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 04:22 AM
    tkrussell
    IS the bar the white pigtail connected to the neutral bar. That contains the neutral white from the feeder? This neutral bar should be insulated from any equipment ground, including the panel metal box.

Which version of AMHD are you using? There are several different ones. Someplace where type can reply to this thread, will be an advanced option, and there will be a button at the top of the window you type your answer in to manage attachments, this will allow you to add a photo to your post.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 04:37 AM
    hkstroud

Converting picture files to JPEG format helps to reduce size.

Old version of AMHD,
    To post pictures upload them to your computer in JPEG format. Make your post, click on the "Go Advance" button below the "Answer this Question" block. Scroll down an click on "Manage Attachments" browse to find pictures, click "Open", click "Upload".
  • Aug 29, 2010, 06:36 AM
    kljland
    1 Attachment(s)
    Got the picture uploaded thank you for the help
  • Aug 29, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Stratmando

Try removing the Neutral, annd see if it trips.
    You are turning all the way off and back on?
  • Aug 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
    tkrussell
    Try what Strat requests.

Looks connected properly.

It is difficult to see if the neutral bar is bonded or not. Should not be.

Check to be sure there is not a screw that is in the neutral bar that goes through the bar and is threaded into the metal box of the panel. If so, remove that screw.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Stratmando

TK, the Neutral is the only thing left, wonder if there is a difference in potential between Neutral and Ground, Strange.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
    KISS

I think I see a bare ground wire on the "NEUTRAL" bar at the bottom. Not good.

Verify that the neutral bar is not connected to ground.

Does the Spa use neutral?
  • Aug 29, 2010, 08:42 AM
    kljland

I measured the resistance between the neutral bar and ground bar and got 00.2 in both boxes.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Stratmando

Remove from the panel and see if it resets.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 08:57 AM
    kljland

I can get it to reset in and out of the panel. As soon as I turn the breaker on at the house panel it kicks the disconnect ground fault breaker instantly.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Stratmando

Earlier it sounded like it was tripping with no load connected?
    What is connected when it trips?
    GFI may be good and we can get to the SPA, but the GFI needs to be able to be reset with no wires connected First.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
    kljland

Spa and wires to the spa are disconnected. Have breaker in house panel with wires running to the disconnect which has the ground fault breaker. The load to the spa is unhooked.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 10:50 AM
    kljland
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is a small drawing I did
  • Aug 29, 2010, 11:50 AM
    KISS

Take the neutral coming from the house and wirenut it to the pigtail. Bet it will work. Everything else as you had it.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
    kljland

Well tried connecting the pig tail to the neutral from the house. Still instant kick.
  • Aug 29, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Stratmando

To Verify, With the 2 hots and neutral disconnected and the coiled neutral is tied to neutral, it still trips?
    What is the voltage between each hot and neutral and ground? Your low resistance says it will be nothing or extremely low.