Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Grants (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Grants for low-income medical debts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=391408)

• Aug 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Grants for low-income medical debts
    Are there grants for people with medical debt? Or grants for people that are low-income?
  • Aug 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
    N0help4u

The ones I know of you have to apply for when you are at the doctors, hospital or ER.

Also you can apply for welfare medical. They go back the past 6 months and cover those medical bills if you are eligible.
  • Aug 28, 2009, 11:35 PM
    Clough
    Hi, Momma!

Yes, there are grants and monies available for people who have low income to cover medical debts. I was recently hospitalized a couple of times. Everything was covered by the state. I'm sure that what's available, does vary by the state, though. The doctor that I see outside of a hospital, is at a community clinic. So, things are also covered there, monetarily.

So, what's up with you concerning this, please? I'm just asking that in general and not trying to get personal or nosy.

Thanks!
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

I have a lot of dental bills are that are in collections... and they not only have my name on them, but my exes. And he's been hounding me to get them taken care of because it's affecting his credit as well... SO I REALLY need to get them taken care of. I'm tired of talking to him.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
    N0help4u

The only way I know is start making monthly payments or apply for welfare medical.
    With medical as long as you are making 5 to 10 $ a month payments they can't give you bad credit from my understanding.
    I would call and make a payment agreement with them. Medical they can't make you pay more than 10 a month
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:40 PM
    artlady

The thing about the grant is that you would need it at the time of service.
    It is unlikely that they would be retroactive.
    Perhaps there is something you could have drawn up legally to absolve him of any debt.
    I also know you can get interest rates reduced if you get on the phone and try to work with people.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:42 PM
    N0help4u

Yep exactly with grants they have to be applied for right then.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
    artlady
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    The only way I know is start making monthly payments or apply for welfare medical.
    With medical as long as you are making 5 to 10 $ a month payments they can't give you bad credit from my understanding.
    I would call and make a payment agreement with them. Medical they can't make you pay more than 10 a month

I know that years ago that was the case but there was a post the other day and this person had made an agreement with the hospital and they paid every month ,on the agreed amount.It went to collection and they were charging a huge interest and I researched it and its legal!
    Give me a break!
  • Aug 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
    N0help4u

Yeah I have noticed that is happening more and more. Hopefully ChihuahuaMomma
    Can work something out asap
  • Aug 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

I already am making small monthly payments, but they don't do much. I can't get state medical, I am single with a full-time job with no children.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
    artlady
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I already am making small monthly payments, but they don't do much. I can't get state medical, I am single with a full-time job with no children.

You can apply now for health care through the state.That may not have any affect re;your arrears.

There could be a program I am not aware of. I would hope so.
    Many times there are orgs.like Catholic Charities who will assist you with money and help if they know you are not just taking advantage.I know your not.They will know it too.

I would call your local Department of Health and ask them where to refer you to.
    You may have to do a lot of phone work but sometimes it just takes the right person to hear you and help.

You need to say "Olivia in records" told me.Always ask for names.

Its usually the last one :) The most helpful !

Being emancipated at such a young age and doing well should count for something !:D
  • Aug 30, 2009, 06:56 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

Nope, I'm not eligible for state medical. I've already tried. Personally, I can't go to a Christian organization, I WOULD feel like I was taking advantage since I'm not Christian. I will have health insurance through my job in two months, but that won't help the past due bills.

Thank you for all the advice.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Christian groups help anyone, being a christian is not a requirement.
  • Aug 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Christian groups help anyone, being a christian is not a requirement.

Oh, I know. I suppose my post was misleading. I was saying that I would feel that I was taking advantage of their kindness being that I'm not a Christian. It's my own personal thing.