Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Food & Drink (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=511)
-   -   How much hot dogs and hamburger for 40 people. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=329928)

• Mar 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
    1charityap
    How much hot dogs and hamburger for 40 people.
    I am hosting a baby shower and expect to have 40-50 people (about 10 are children). I need to know how much hamburger and hot dogs I would need. Any ideas to cut costs would also be welcomed!
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
    neverme

I find with functions like that it may be easier to do cocktail sausages and sandwiches or is this not an option?

It's just that these would be cheaper and they are easier to distribute?
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
    1charityap
    That is a possibility, especially if its cheaper. So I would just need to know how much of all that I would need.
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
    neverme

You could just get a couple of loafs of bread, cheap, and some fillers i.e ham and cheese, lettuce, tuna, all cheap.

Then if you get the frozen cocktail sausages, 2 or 3 bags.

Get some chips, make some dip, happy days!
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:31 AM
    adam_89

Yea, I agree with neverme. It would be cheaper. If you could get the meat on sale it would be OK. It all depends on who wants what. Some people may eat nothing where some people may eat a hamburger and 2 hot dogs. So, it may vary greatly. If you could make about 40 hamburgers with 10 lbs of hamburger at say $2.50 per pound then it will be $25.00 for the hamburger depending if you catch it on sale or anything. As far as the hot dogs if you got 5 packs of 10 hot dogs at 2 dollars per pack that would be another $10. So it could be anywhere from $35 and up. Does that work for you?
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
    neverme
    Spinach dip

235 ml mayonnaise
    454.4 g sour cream
    50.4 g dry leek soup mix
    1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
    142 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, dry leek soup mix, water chestnuts and chopped spinach. Chill in the refrigerator 6 hours, or overnight.

Cheap and yummy!
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
    neverme
    Salsa

4 large tomatoes, diced
    0.5 large onion, minced
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    30 g chopped fresh cilantro
    1 jalapeņo pepper, seeded and minced
    30 ml fresh lime juice

1. In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice. Add jalapeņos 2 teaspoons at a time, tasting after each addition to see how hot the salsa has become. Jalapeņo peppers vary in heat, so it is important to taste the salsa to ensure you do not make it too hot to handle. Salt to taste.

I would probably triple or quadruple these recipes, but they are affordable and easy to do.
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
    1charityap
    Thank you for the info. I think I will probably go w/the sandwiches... but I love hamburgers and hotdogs!
  • Mar 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
    adam_89

Ok, good to know Charityap. Good luck!