Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Mental & Emotional Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Afraid of Money (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=304686)

• Jan 17, 2009, 01:44 AM
    serenitynow422
    Afraid of Money
    I don't know if I am a major tight arse or what but I have this phobia about spending money. Sometimes its so bad when I'm at the mall and I'm hungry I'm hesitant and usually don't buy myself food to eat. That kind of worries me when I am hesitant to buy food to eat.
    :confused:

I don't like this and its very frustrating and makes me a very turmoily (not a word) person! Like I grieve over spending money on myself... I may not at the time but later I do. Sometimes I even ball over this fact that I spent 50 dollars on running shoes and a purse because my only running shoes had a hole in them and my purse was shabby and old. Its un-reasonable and it hurts me. I don't know why I feel this way...

Help.

I feel like a pack rat without the ability to pack.
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Clough

Hi, serenitynow422!

Do you make enough money to support yourself and also so that you're able to put some away for the future?

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
    serenitynow422

Currently I have no income
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
    serenitynow422
    But when I do... I'm still like this
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:58 AM
    artlady

It kind of sounds like an OCD thing,

I know there are people who are addicted to shopping and so forth. Dr.Phil had a show on that once.Maybe you shoul d check out his site.
    I'm really poor and I never have money
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:58 AM
    Clough

If you have no income, how are you able to spend money, please?

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 01:59 AM
    serenitynow422
    Gifts
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Clough
    A long time ago, just about every Friday night, I would go out an spend about fifty bucks on things that I really didn't need. But, just getting out and being able to have some control, I think, was the thing for me.

I made very little money then...
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Clough
    Gifts from people to provide money for you?
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:03 AM
    serenitynow422

Yea like my rents give me money once in a while because I live w/ them looking for a job currently but school proved too much to handle both
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:09 AM
    Clough

I would appreciate an answer to my original question, and that would be, "Do you make enough money to support yourself and also so that you're able to put some away for the future?"

If you generally have no income, you do need to support yourself somehow... So, how do you do that?

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:11 AM
    serenitynow422

And I said I receive money from my parents
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Clough

You said the following serenitynow422,
    Quote:

yea like my rents give me money once in a while because I live w/ them looking for a job currently but school proved too much to handle both
    If you meant that to mean parents, then I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. There can be differences in words used on this site because it operates on an international besis.

How old are you, please?

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:19 AM
    serenitynow422
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Clough

So, you don't really have to be making a living for yourself just yet. Is that correct?

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:22 AM
    serenitynow422

No not yet soon very soon I will though
  • Jan 17, 2009, 02:55 AM
    Clough
    Once you start to have to budget money that you have for only certain kinds of things, you'll know what you can and can't spend money on.

Learning that will take some time, and you'll definitely need to be providing for yourself in order to be realizing that.

It was quite a revelation for my daughter when she was about your age, when she asked/proclaimed to me that, "You mean that I'm going to have to pay for rent, gas & electric, water, etc.?"

You learn to budget and to not go out beyond that for which you are able to pay.

What we need and that which we desire to have can take on a whole new meaning and perspective when we realize that we have to provide for ourselves and no one else is going to do it for us.

Thanks!
  • Jan 17, 2009, 11:52 AM
    serenitynow422
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Once you start to have to budget money that you have for only certain kinds of things, you'll know what you can and can't spend money on.

Learning that will take some time, and you'll definitely need to be providing for yourself in order to be realizing that.

It was quite a revelation for my daughter when she was about your age, when she asked/proclaimed to me that, "You mean that I'm going to have to pay for rent, gas & electric, water, etc.?"

You learn to budget and to not go out beyond that which you are able to pay for.

What we need and that which we desire to have can take on a whole new meaning and perspective when we realize that we have to provide for ourselves and no one else is going to do it for us.

Thanks!

Hi Clough,

That made a lot of sense to me in my current situation. And that last statement was astounding. Thank you so much.