Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Science for Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Niagara Falls! Where Does All This Water Come From? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=26454)

• May 22, 2006, 11:33 AM
    violet0019
    Niagara Falls! Where Does All This Water Come From?!
    RE: NIAGARA FALLS: My Son wants to know from where does all this water come? How does it continue to fall like this?
    And where does it go - why is there no flooding?
  • May 22, 2006, 11:36 AM
    RickJ
    The Niagara River is actually a "strait". Basically just a waterway between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
  • May 22, 2006, 03:28 PM
    NeedKarma
    I'm assuming he's wondering why the water never simply runs out. That would be the concept of the earth's Water Cycle.

More here: Water cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And here: The Water Cycle
  • May 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    It will eventually erode the cliff and flatten out, becoming a gorge. But it will still be a river that flows so the real question is why do rivers continue to flow, as NeedKarma already mentioned.

To demonstrate why it doesn't flood, draw a goodly groove in the dirt and let him pour the water slowly.

There are some great children's books out about worldwide weather, maybe look through some at the library or bookstore?
  • May 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Tommyp!972
    Niagara Falls Origins - a Geological History

Very interesting fun reading
  • May 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
    roadru55
    Don't listent to thses s...

Look The water flows from streams and rivers that empty into the Great Lakes, from Lake Superior down through Niagara to Lake Ontario, then into the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean. Water always flows down to the sea, and the land slopes downward through the Great Lakes Basin from west to east - but the Niagara River actually flows north
  • May 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Capuchin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roadru55
    Don't listent to thses s......

look The water flows from streams and rivers that empty into the Great Lakes, from Lake Superior down through Niagara to Lake Ontario, then into the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean. Water always flows down to the sea, and the land slopes downward through the Great Lakes Basin from west to east - but the Niagara River actually flows north

Nice copy paste :p - state your sources!
  • Dec 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
    sai22
    i've been there and i have many questions until now so nice the place
  • Dec 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
    sai22
    Need to study about this
  • Jul 4, 2010, 08:24 PM
    ahmed2162
    I always wonder where this water come from, but finally now I know that it's from the Earth cycle
  • Sep 1, 2010, 04:25 AM
    riesj74
    The earths cycle assumes it evaporates into the clouds and then comes down as rain again.
    But I have some problems with that.
    A. that much water can't possibly evaporate that quickly that it always stays a steady stream...
    B. it might evaporate at one place, but it will never come down at the same place again all the time... so again, how does it stay such a steady stream!