Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Routers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Linksy's wireless router issue (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=182509)

• Feb 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    sarahsu
    Linksy's wireless router issue
    I can't seem to set a secure wireless network. Does anyone know a step by step way to do this.
  • Feb 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
    biggsie
    I have a Linksys router -- I am trying to learn more about it

Linksys.com – Support/Technical Support

Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/EasyLink Home Networking Tools

Linksys NetCheck

The last link has a Net Check -- download that checks out your router
  • Feb 22, 2008, 04:33 AM
    gilton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by biggsie
    I have a Linksys router -- I am trying to learn more about it

Linksys.com – Support/Technical Support

Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/EasyLink Home Networking Tools

Linksys NetCheck

The last link has a Net Check -- download that checks out your router

Tell me which model you have?
  • Apr 24, 2008, 08:31 PM
    aung2bo
    If you want to do the wireless security , you go to the wireless tag and you can filter by MAC address or password.

Can you manage to find the Wireless Tag ?
  • Apr 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Scleros
    The User's Guide for your particular router model can be found on Linksys.com and contains detailed instructions for wireless configuration.

The general process for any wireless setup is as follows:
    1. Configure for infrastructure mode vs. ad hoc.
    2. Select B, G, B+G, or possibly A mode.
    3. Enter a unique SSID - this effectively names your wireless lan.
    4. Select a wireless channel - Usually 1, 6, or 11 is selected as the channels do not overlap allowing you to not interfere with your neighbors or have 3 networks in the same physical area.

The following items may be presented as bundled options instead of individual...
    5. Select an authentication type.
    6. Select a security suite - WPA is preferable to WEP as WEP is not secure. "Enterprise" labeled options require a RADIUS server that a business would have. "Personal" labeled options are for home use/no RADIUS server. All wireless devices you intend to use must support the suite.
    7. Select an encryption algorithm - AES is preferable to TKIP.
    8. Enter key of your choosing of largest number of bits supported by all wireless devices or passphrase for the security and encryption selected.

Optional:
    9. Enter MAC addresses of all wireless devices into MAC address filter - the router will only accept connections from devices having these MAC addresses. Use command prompt command "ipconfig /all" in Windows to get MAC physical address or look for a sticker on the device.

Device Setup:
    10. Using the settings from #5-#8, configure the same settings in all wireless devices. Not all devices will support all the same security options, therefore you will have to determine beforehand what options are common to all devices that yield the most secure security suite.