Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How much to tip (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=161439)

• Dec 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
    muna
    How much to tip
    Hello, if you spent #300 at the hair salon that includes buying hair products (shampoo, conditioners, leave in conditioner and hair serum) how much should you tip, I paid the lady her $300 and I forgot to tip and I want to go back tomorrow to give her her tips, I am just not sure how much should I give , may be $10, what do you think?
  • Dec 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
    charlotte234s
    Wow, $300 at the salon wish I had money to spend like that!

Either way, a 10 dollar tip is a little more than 3 percent but considering that some of it was just purchasing products, I think it's fair.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
    jillianleab
    You don't tip off the cost of your products, only off the services. If you spent $200 on hair services (cut, color, etc) tip 10% - 20% ($20 to $40), whatever you think is fair. It is not normal or expected to tip for the cost of products.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
    oneguyinohio
    20% of the services sounds like a good bet. Depending on how you were treated, if you want to go back, and what impression you want to leave... if you are going back, it might seem odd for $10, not that the lady won't appreciate it, but instead I think she should be flattered that you remembered at this busy time of year! You could also use that as your excuse for forgetting... all the hussle and bussle of preparing for the holidays...
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
    jillianleab
    Also, people are usually more generous with tipping during the holiday season. Sometimes people recommend tipping the cost of the cut, but that seems overkill to me. I tip my stylist a steady 10% (every six weeks), and during the holidays increase it to 15% - 20%.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
    muna
    Believe me charlotte I am mad at that amount as as well because the woman when she was washing my hair all the water went on my back, I have been to other salons and I never got wet and I was sou cold even though she put towels under my shirt, I just thought to do the right thing in spite of how wet I was
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
    oneguyinohio
    In that case, I don't know that there is a right thing to do! I base my tips on service that I get! In my book tips are for a job well done!
  • Dec 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
    jillianleab
    If you got bad service, you should not tip. In fact, you might want to send an email to the salon manager (or owner if you can) to let them know of your dissatisfaction. Soaking your shirt is the result of the person being careless, and they don't deserve to be rewarded for that.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
    humble48
    The standard tip is 15% on services. Not 15% on gathering during a haircut.

You picking up botanicals, hair nets, shampoo, conditioner, perfumes, etc. Is not covered.

You must analyze what they helped you with and those that they did not help you with.

If you have one $300 haircut but picked up everything else yourself. Well, it's a standard 15% on the $300 (which is $45). If the haircut sucked, 10% - $30. If it rocked, like the best you ever had - 20% - $60.

Just my thought.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 11:45 PM
    charlotte234s
    If I get cruddy service, I don't tip. Tips are to show appreciation for workers who do a good job.