Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Home & Garden (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Dust in House (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=156328)

• Nov 26, 2007, 05:09 PM
    igottogonow
    Dust in House
    When we moved into our house several years ago we never had any dust problem. Now after several years we've notice we have a lot more dust than we use to have. Several people have told me that I need to get my ducts cleaned and this should fix this problem. The problem I have is I installed filters in all my outlet ducts (the inlet duct has Hi Efficiency filters) and these filters don't seem to catch a lot of dust. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what have you done to correct it?
  • Nov 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
    ballengerb1
    Where do you live and is this a forced hot air furnace?
  • Nov 26, 2007, 05:52 PM
    hixton
    Do you have first floor laundry you will get a lot of dust from your dryer check your vents make sure it's clean and you have a tight connection even so you will still have some dust they don't make the drums sealed that tight any more
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
    igottogonow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Where do you live and is this a forced hot air furnace?

No. I have a Heat pump split unit.
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
    ballengerb1
    OK but is it forced hot air, with hot air registers and retrun air vents.
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
    igottogonow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hixton
    do you have first floor laundry you will get a lot of dust from your dryer check your vents make sure it's clean and you have a tight connection even so you will still have some dust they don't make the drums sealed that tight any more

No I replaced the dryer duct work about a month ago. It was clogged and it caused my dryer to overheat and burn out the thermal switch. No it's not much dust in the laundry room.
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
    igottogonow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    OK but is it forced hot air, with hot air registers and retrun air vents.

Well electric with heat strips has one return 25X20 with at least one register in each room. Compressor outside and the blower and heat strips in attic. South Carolina.
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:20 PM
    ballengerb1
    You were likely typing your answer about the dryer when I did my post so you missed it. Get back to me when you can regarding the hot air registers and return vents.
  • Nov 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
    ballengerb1
    OK check out the blower, there should be a verticle drawer that holds a filter for the whole house. Have you changed that filer lately? If it isn't replaced twice per year it can plug up or worse yet blow out and release a years worth of dust. If you have a high efficiency filetr on every register and every return duct plus the whole house filter you probably have reduced your air flow below what's needed. Remove the individual filters and go with one good high efficiency whole house filetr.
  • Nov 27, 2010, 10:23 PM
    PhyllisMoore
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It is a regular gar burnng heater I live near Little Rock AR
  • Nov 27, 2010, 10:24 PM
    PhyllisMoore
    Comment on hixton's post
    My dryer is brand spanking new