Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=126859)

• Sep 7, 2007, 06:54 AM
    wilameana
    Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else?
    I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.
  • Aug 16, 2008, 02:41 AM
    Credendovidis
    What you hear clicking is the start relay. That relay should activate the main start switch in the start motor. The current draw of a start motor is too high to allow a relay to switch that. A start motor has two connections : one for direct battery power, and one to activate the build-in start switch. You have to look there... Is that start switch activated? If not replace the start relay. If yes, check the start moter switch in the startmotor.

Success !

:)
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Stratmando

A loose wire can do that as well.
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:49 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey

If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

Remove and fully charge/replace the battery. Most auto parts stores will test and charge batteries for free. My bet is that the battery is bad.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
    jjavelinjim
    I'm having the same problem... replaced battery,starter and starter relay and it still just clicks
  • Jun 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jjavelinjim View Post
    I'm having the same problem...replaced battery,starter and starter relay and it still just clicks

This is a 1992 Ranger 4.0
  • Jun 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Javelin, even new batteries usually need to be charged for several hours. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Also, make sure the battery terminals and cable connections are clean. Clean connections at the starter, too. Check the cables for hidden corrosion and breaks. Clean ground cable, where it attaches to the frame. If problem persists, clean the starter mounting bolts, since the starter motor grounds through them. After that, I would suspect the starter relay/starter motor. Some rebuilds are better than others.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
    jjavelinjim
    I did have the new battery on charger over night, and still just clicks. I'll try cleaning the bolts on starter and checking the cables, I did try jumping the relay and nothing happened.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Javelin, in order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

If you did this, then replace the solenoid.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    javelin, in order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

If you did this, then replace the solenoid.

This Ranger has a 5 speed, so won't I need another person to depress the clutch and activate the CPP?
  • Jun 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    To me, it appears your solenoid is bad. Since most solenoid/starters come with a warranty, I would exchange it for another.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

This Ranger has a 5 speed, so won't I need another person to depress the clutch and activate the CPP?

I tried connecting to "S" post and positive terminal... once again just a click
  • Jun 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Stratmando
    Now you need a test light or meter and see if you get good voltage to starter when it clicks, or you have a bad solenoid.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Plain and simple, the solenoid is bad.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
    Stratmando
    Hey TX, missed your post?
  • Jun 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Now you need a test light or meter and see if you get good voltage to starter when it clicks, or you have a bad solenoid.

I have 12V on both leads to the starter and solenoid
  • Jun 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    It's clear, to me, that you need to return the starter motor for another--this is common on remanufactured starters.
  • Jun 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    It's clear, to me, that you need to return the starter motor for another--this is common on remanufactured starters.

Yup... that's my next step... Thank you for all the tips!
  • Jun 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
    jjavelinjim
    Quote:

Yup...that's my next step...Thank you for all the tips !!

Ok... Had the starter tested and it's good!. back to being puzzled again
  • Jun 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Unless you have a bad ground, why should it run for them and not for you? Was your jumper cable substantial enough (i.e. large enough wire)?

Verify that at least one of the mounting bolts is long enough and goes into the engine block, not just the bell housing. Clean the bolt threads on a wire wheel--spray with WD-40. Remove corrosion from the mounting surfaces.