Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Is 220V better than 110V? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7129)

• Jan 13, 2005, 10:46 AM
    harleyds
    Is 220V better than 110V?
    My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient.

Would I see a savings on the electric bill?

Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge.

Could I just change the breaker and the wiring position?

David
  • Jan 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
    labman
    You could, but I don't think it would make that much difference as long a 12 gauge wire is adequate. The motor would still see the same voltage and amperage, it is just that the windings would then be in series instead of parallel. The wiring would carry about half the amps. This would reduce line loses somewhat, more so if the wire is marginal for the amperage.

The big advantage of 220 is being able to carry larger loads without running larger wires.
  • Jan 14, 2005, 08:56 AM
    harleyds
    In a nutshell
    If it aint't broke, don"t fix it..
  • Apr 14, 2005, 08:21 PM
    bryankr29
    Help With 220v
    Need help figuring out how to wire a panel in my track truck to run a compressor and some lights. I bought a panel and wired but the compressor won't stay on. It comes on slow and then trips the breakers on the generator. The compressor draws 15 amps on start up. Please help with wiring
  • Apr 15, 2005, 03:45 AM
    Flickit
    It sounds as...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by harleyds
    My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient.

Would I see a savings on the electric bill?

Is this true? The wires now are 12 guage.

Could I just change the breaker and the wiring position?

David

... if you've a mind to save energy and as Labman replied it can lead to cost savings due to the reduced I^2*R losses in the wiring. Assuming the wiring is safe to begin with, check that your panel has a slot open to accommodate a 220VAC breaker with current rating indicated on the pump's template. Keep in mind you'll be gaining a half-slot if and when you convert. The wiring diagram on or just inside the pump (motor housing) should be self-explanatory. As for the actual conversion, leave it to an experienced electrician to either do the work or be nearby in the event you are considering doing it yourself. For particulars relating to your pump and the existing wiring, post any further questions/concerns you may have to this subject forum.
  • Apr 15, 2005, 10:44 AM
    labman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bryankr29
    need help figuring out how to wire a panel in my track truck to run a compressor and some lights. i bought a panel and wired but the compressor wont stay on. it comes on slow and then trips the breakers on the generator. the compressor draws 15 amps on start up. please help with wiring

You have to have a generator that can put out over 3300 watts at 220 volts and a panel meant for 220. You will need to connect the 2 hot wires, black and red, to the 2 busses on the panel and the neutral to the neutral. If you have it set up that way, and it doesn't work, post back with details. May not get back to you until Monday.