Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Hot water leaking in tub (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=753861)

• Jun 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
    mogrann
    Hot water leaking in tub
    We have called the landlord and he wants us to get a plumber and pay for it and then take off next month's rent. I will not call on a weekend so will call Monday.
    The hot water is leaking a fair bit you can not turn tap off any more. Hubby can not find the water shut off valve for the hot water. He found one under the sink but says it is unable to be turned either way. Can we turn off the valve by the hot water tank and just turn it back on when someone needs to use it? We are unsure if the tank will drain and then the heater will break.
    Also what are peoples thoughts on water softeners. We seem to have issues with plumbing (taps leaking mainly) every couple of months. Where I live people have said we have hard water. Can that be the issue?
  • Jun 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
    speedball1
    More details please. I need to know the brand name of the tub valve. If you have a tub access panel you may check for shut off valves there. Otherwise, remove the faceplate and look for screwdriver sops on either side of the supplies. If they are they are then turned the left-hand screwdriver stop to the right to shut off the hot water. Do you want directions on how to repair the valve? Let me know, Tom
  • Jun 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
    mogrann
    I will show hubby this when he gets home and come back with answers to your questions. He will be home in approximately 2.5 hours thank you
  • Jun 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
    hkstroud
    Yes. You can turn the water off at the water heater but you will be turning off all the hot water to the house.
  • Jun 15, 2013, 04:14 PM
    mogrann
    Thanks, I now know how to turn the hot water off. Now to take it apart and see if home depot has any, here is hoping it is not too old and I can get the part.

The above was what Hubby said.
  • Jun 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
    speedball1
    Tell us more about you.faucet, is it one handle or two knobs? What brand is it? Don't forget to flush out the supplies once you have it part.. Do you need directions or instructions? Back to you Tom
  • Jun 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
    mogrann
    It is very old no name brand on it at all. When we took the guts to home depot they said if the washers did not work we would need new taps as it is too old they had no -parts for it. We put the rubber washer on and it worked. Total cost $2 and change.
  • Jun 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
    speedball1
    We thank you for letting us know. Glad you got to fixed and if we can ever help in the future we'reas a click Good luck, Tom
  • Jun 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
    hkstroud
    Yes, thanks for the update.

Quote:

to home depot they said
    Just so you know, there are no plumbers working at Home Dummies.