Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Wireless Technology (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=356)
-   -   Thinkpad laptop (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=120516)

• Aug 17, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Tugela
    Thinkpad laptop
    Ok so my son has a Thinkpad laptop. Trying to connect wirelessly keeps getting the error message "network cable is unplugged". When he installed the belkin adaptor it found the livebox connection but it just won't connect obviously due to this cable being unplugged. What is this and where does he find something to enable it. He has no manual with this laptop which is fairly old.

Thanks
  • Aug 17, 2007, 01:34 PM
    ScottGem
    That message simple means that its not detecting a network connection. Call Belkin tech support.
  • Aug 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Tugela
    This must be detecting a network because it found my internet connection, all is fine on that side, the belkin shows on the task bar and the little green light on it flicks, but the two little computers on the task bar have a red X through them and there is no way I can enable them - I have heard that I need to switch the network on, but where on this thinkpad - it is an X21 (fairly old)
    Sorry I must sound very confusing!
    Thanks
  • Aug 21, 2007, 05:49 AM
    ScottGem
    I have a T22, similar model. There is no place to "switch the network on". If you have both a wired and wireless network adapter in the machine (which you do if you are using an addon wireless adapter, then one of the paired computer icons is for the wired connection. If there is no cable plugges in THAT connection will show that message. Sounds like you are getting the two connections mixed up.
  • Aug 21, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Tugela
    Thanks... lol I'm not so clever so please bear with me. (sorry)
    I have used this laptop with a wired connection - no problem
    Now I got this Belkin thing which I was told is all I needed to go wireless - now I'm confused - do I need something else?
    I have two icons on the taskbar of 2 screens with X through them?
    Sorry, I hope you have patience lol
    Thanks
  • Aug 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
    ScottGem
    Do You have a wireless router? If so, then Wireless network adapter is all you need. But it has to be configured.
  • Aug 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Tugela
    Well I have a thing called a "Live Box" and my daughter is using her laptop wirelessly from this so I presumed the other lap top should also work. What do I need to configure and how. I really am sorry, Im doing my best here but sometimes things get beyond me lol
    Thanks
  • Aug 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
    ScottGem
    Umm what is this live box? Brand and model #? Did you read the instructions that came with the network adapter?
  • Aug 22, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Tugela
    Yes I read the instructions with the network adaptor and what I don't understand is how this adaptor knows that I am on Orange LiveBox if it is not working properly. Sorry I am sure you are confused. Orange Livebox is my internet connection and it is a box that you can also use your telephone through and your internet connection. My daughters laptop was not problem as it is new and the guy in the computer shop told me that all I needed for the thinkpad was this Belkin thing, which I am sure is working as I said because it shows me my internet connection (and my neighbours lol) but I cannot connect as "network cable is unplugged"
    Thanks
  • Aug 22, 2007, 08:55 AM
    ScottGem
    Ok is this what you have?

Orange - Livebox Wireless Modem

If that's the case, then you should contact the tech support of your service. They should walk you through how to configure the network adapter to connect to the Live Box.

And forget the network cable unplugged. You are getting that message from the WIRED ethernet adapter not the wireless one.
  • Aug 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Tugela
    Ok thanks will get onto them now
    Your help is much appreciated
  • Aug 22, 2007, 09:08 AM
    ScottGem
    Keep us posted