Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Re-establish Parental Rights (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=761180)

• Aug 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
    xqqmeplz
    Re-establish Parental Rights
    I have 4 siblings in my custody, the mom and dad have both voluntarily relinquished their parental rights. Mom would now like to get the kids back. I would like to help mom what can we do? She signed off on them in February and we live in Nebraska. Can anyone help me?
  • Aug 3, 2013, 06:40 PM
    N0help4u
    Are you guardian, foster parent or have you adopted? What were the circumstances that they relinquished rights? Has their situation improved? Was CPS involved? How old are the kids?
  • Aug 3, 2013, 06:56 PM
    xqqmeplz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    are you guardian, foster parent or have you adopted? What were the circumstances that they relinquished rights? Has their situation improved? Was CPS involved? How old are the kids?

We are the foster parents, it is an adoptive placement. CPS was involved, they were removed from dad's home and place with mom with a 24/7 in place. The kids were each removed one by one because of their behaviors.

Mom has since gotten a job and appears to be stable. I was her Family Support Worker while she was going through all of this and I did some of her visits I know she can handle the kids, especially now that they have been living with my husband and I and their behaviors have all calmed down and I would be willing to work with mom to establish rules and stuff for her to follow so she can get them back. She is very willing to work with me. The kids are 15, 13, 11 & 8.
  • Aug 4, 2013, 10:17 AM
    JudyKayTee
    " I was her Family Support Worker :

This sets off alarms in my head - definitely not allowed in NY. Workers cannot interact to this extent with clients. I don't understand your confusion when you are a trained social worker.

I would do nothing without the involvement of a GAL.

How many times can these children be moved back and forth, pre-adoptive placement or not - before someone begins to be concerned about their emotional development.

If we were talking puppies here I MIGHT understand things.
  • Aug 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
    N0help4u
    Just one thing I'm not understanding since CPS IS involved aren't these things for the higher ups to answer? How does OP just decide
  • Aug 4, 2013, 11:20 AM
    JudyKayTee
    One of several statements that don't make sense - foster parents don't just decide, "Well, okay, Mom can handle things now ..." - at least not in my State!
  • Aug 4, 2013, 11:25 AM
    N0help4u
    Same here once CPS cuts off parents or in the process nobody can just decide they feel like giving parents another chance.
  • Aug 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
    ScottGem
    And parents don't voluntarily relinquish their rights. Only a court can terminate parental rights. What does "adoptive placement" mean? If the children were placed with you pending adoption, then the parental rights were not terminated until the adoption become final.

They may have signed over custody, but I doubt if they relinquished their parental rights.