Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   What does it mean when the washing machine drains up kitchen sinc? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=545904)

• Jan 19, 2011, 08:32 PM
    christiembwgm
    What does it mean when the washing machine drains up kitchen sinc?
    There is a big metal pipe pouring water when the washing machine drains out and water comes up the kitchin sinc and gurgles down.its an old house metal drain pipe.could it be because the pipe is pouring out of the pipe causes the water come up the sinc.and what does it mean when you have low water pressure when you turn water on from another part of the house.we can't wash clothes while we are taking a bath.
  • Jan 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
    massplumber2008

Hi Christie...

Sounds like a main drain cleanout or at least a main line cleanout is spilling water over (should be capped) when the washer is draining and forcing water into the kitchen sink because the drain line common to the fixtures is clogged.

You will either need to rent a sewer cleaning machine and snake the drain line, or call a local plumber to come out and snake the drain line for you.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
  • Jan 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Zemuss
    Most houses (old) require that you run no other water while taking a shower or bath, unless you want really cold or hot water, or no pressure. That's just life >:O
  • Jan 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
    ballengerb1

Zemuss, we appreciate your desire to participate on AMHD but I think we have to stick with the Plumbing Expert on this one. The fact of life says if your washing machine discharges up through the sink drain then you have a clog and the drain line needs rodding. Thanks for the correct answer Mark
  • Jan 21, 2011, 04:23 PM
    Zemuss
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It was a 2 part question, I was referring to the 2nd part of the original question
  • Jan 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
    pghplumber
    On part two of the question; Loss of pressure and inadequate volume to run more than one fixture at a time is pretty common. 3 things must be considered when trying to resolve the issue. Size of pipes (volume), pressure and distribution design. To see what options may apply to you it is best to have a plumbing pro come by the house, especially since you're having problems with your drains, too.
    1. Have water pressure checked to see if it is between 45-65 psi. Depending on house design, proper pressures vary. It is possible to have high pressure (over 75psi.) and still encounter volume problems.
    2. Evaluate the size of the water service in relation to the rest of the house's water piping. If your service is 3/4" and the house is piped in 1/2", you may consider increasing the size of the house piping to provide more volume.
    3. Have the piping layout and branches checked for "double runs" and unnecessary or redundant piping.
    Sometimes solving this problem can get expensive, but if it's important enough then it will be worth it.
    There are some plumbers and handymen who try to solve this by just increasing pipe size in sections near the fixtures that are having the problem. This will not solve the problem and will leave you frustrated and with less money in the bank.
    Let us know how both situation turn out.
  • Jan 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
    truck 41

Hello christie. sounds like your having clogged drain problems, it will be a good idea to rooter out the drainlines, and as far as the low pressure problem it sounds like you have galvanized pipes which tend to build up rust with time and start restricting water flow. Or as the other experts have mentioned under sized piping in which either case may require replacing some or all water piping to your home. You may need to hire a plumbing co. to trouble shoot that problem, or both problems. Goodluck.----zeke----
  • Jan 22, 2011, 09:28 PM
    mygirlsdad77

All good advice above. I will only mention one other thing about the water pressure. If the house is EXTREMELY old, there is a good chance that the main water supply (underground) is a lead service. Old lead services plug up almost completely over time. If you do happen to have a plumber over, have them check volume at or even before the meter.