Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Appliances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   GE Microwave model JVM1330 not working properly (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=589816)

• Jul 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
    pdr4d
    GE Microwave model JVM1330 not working properly
    PROBLEM:Our microwave stopped working suddenly. It's a GE JVM1330 and was made in 1996. The buttons on the control panel work fine, and the light inside turns on. We can enter a cook time, and it counts down as if it is cooking, but, it doesn't actually cook the food unless we pull the door gently toward us, without unlatching it. I recently put a business card in between the crack of the door, and it worked fine. However, now when I open the door, it sounds as though the microwave is on, even though I press "Clear/off" nothing happens.

I've heard that there are micro switches and one may be bad. My question is how do I get to the switch? Do I have to take it down off the cabinet (over the range) to get to it? Which micro switch is it? And, does anyone have the scematic(s)? Any help would be appreciated?
  • Jul 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
    twinkiedooter

An appliance from 1996 should be thrown out. And being a microwave it should doubly be thrown out. Do not under any circumstances try to repair this yourself. Putting the business card in the door is not a good idea either.

Throw it out and either a) do without this and learn to use the regular stove again or b) buy a new one.

If you start monkeying around with this and open it up you could get quite a whallop from the built up electrical charge. Dumber things HAVE happened with trying to repair microwaves by amateurs. If you do not have the proper tools to demagnatize this appliance do not open it up and try to repair this.

I threw mine away in 2007 and I've actually had my health improve.. The radiation that those machines emit even if they are not on would make you wake up and pay attention. And the older they are the worse they are in emitting radiation.

You are just nuking yourself and your food with this old model.
  • Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
    ma0641
    It lasted 15 years. Not worth repairing because at that age something else may go. HD had a Magic Chef on sale a couple of months ago, 1100Watts, 1.4 cu. ft. for $80. Bought it and sold my old GE for $20 on CL. The monimum repair cost at a service would be $75 or so.
  • Jul 28, 2011, 05:57 AM
    Handyman2007
    Time to bury that microwave. It is probably a door safety switch but because of the age , it has a very inefficient magnetron in it and that will probably go next. You have gotten your money's worth.
  • Jul 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
    pdr4d
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks, just saw a GE model I will purchase
  • Jul 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
    pdr4d
    Comment on Handyman2007's post
    Thank you - I have purchased a new GE model
  • Jul 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
    Handyman2007
    Comment on Handyman2007's post
    Good Deal!!
  • Dec 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
    DanielY
    I had the same problem. I adjusted door latch switch (per GE instruction), it works OK.