Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Basement washer will not drain (sure-fit vent) (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=746248)

• Apr 27, 2013, 04:37 AM
    IreneLouise
    1 Attachment(s)
    We had to install a new lift pump for our basement laundry tub/washing machine. The system worked fine, the pump just needed replacing ) The washer drains to the tub, then to the sealed FloTec lift pump (approx 8 ft lift ). The sure-vent is on about a 2ft vertical PVC pipe out of the pump system.

Now the laundry tub will not drain. If I unscrew the sure-vent there is a rush of air, pump works just fine, and water drains. Is it possible the vent was broken during the reinstall?

Here is a drawing to clarify the before and after piping. I find it hard to believe that by draining to the laundry tub instead of to the stand pipe made a difference. Due to space problems we did the redirection to the laundry tub, but can redo as original if that is the problem.
  • Apr 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

If I unscrew the sure-vent there is a rush of air, pump works just fine,
    Sure sounds like a faulty vent. Replace it with a Studor Vent. Good luck, Tom
  • Apr 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
    ma0641
    AAV's are not designed for use with ejector pumps since they only open 1 way. The vent must be open both ways filling and emptying. Every ejector I have seen is on a dedicated vent line. The reason the old way worked was because it was venting through the p trap of the washer
  • Apr 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
    IreneLouise
    Interesting because this was inspected by the local building dept. Sticker of approval is on the vent pipe so they could not have missed it.

This probably worked OK because of the trap in the washer line. Making the AVV totally irrelevant and draining the trap as the pump ejected.

So we need to extend the vent pipe to outside. Anything special that is needed for this other than PVC pipe?
  • Apr 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
    ma0641
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IreneLouise View Post
    Interesting because this was inspected by the local building dept. Sticker of approval is on the vent pipe so they could not have missed it.

This probably worked OK because of the trap in the washer line. Making the AVV totally irrelevent and draining the trap as the pump ejected.

So we need to extend the vent pipe to outside. Anything special that is needed for this other than PVC pipe?

Yep, amazing how you can prove laws of Physics without even trying. That would be my guess as I stated before. Also shows you how much they don't know. Extend the PVC pipe through the wall, put a 90 degree ell and then a piece of screen to keep critters out. You shouldn't have too many smells since this is not connected to a sanitary waste vent. Put some bleach in periodically and you should kill all smells.
  • Apr 27, 2013, 05:37 PM
    speedball1
    My bad! I should have asked which vent the AAV's installed on. If on the fixture vent you're OK but if this was installed on the pit vent you will have to remove it and run a dedicated vent out the roof. Let me know, Tom
  • Apr 27, 2013, 05:42 PM
    IreneLouise
    Yes looks like we need an outside pump vent. I guess there were enough leaks in the old system that it worked, but it was not installed right. Amazing the building inspector put the Approved sticker about 6 inches away. Off to get PVC pipe tomorrow.

Thanks for the correction.
  • Apr 29, 2013, 08:14 AM
    speedball1
    Let us know how you make out, Good luck, Tom.