Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Lavatory sink not flat? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=29170)

• Jul 8, 2006, 10:38 PM
    jwieland
    Lavatory sink not flat?
    We're replacing a lavatory sink, and it appears that the bottom of the new sink is not flat. It rocks from side to side nearly 1/8 of an inch. It's a 19" round Gerber vitreous china sink. If we spin the sink 90 deg, it still rocks from side to side (relative to the sink, that is). Is this sort of thing normal? Or is the sink defective, and should we exchange it?
  • Jul 8, 2006, 10:49 PM
    letmetellu
    If you bought this sink from a discount store like Home Depot that is a normal thing... if 1/8 of an inch is all that it raises up then you should raise it 1/16th of an inch on each side and put a shim under it to hold it in place and then use "Dap Tub and Tile Caulk" around the sink where it meets the top. Just enough to seal the crack and to make it look good. In a few months it will shrink a bit so then add some more caulk.
  • Jul 8, 2006, 11:00 PM
    jwieland
    Quote:

Originally Posted by letmetellu
    If you bought this sink from a discount store like Home Depot that is a normal thing......if 1/8 of an inch is all that it raises up then you should raise it 1/16th of an inch on each side and put a shim under it to hold it in place and then use "Dap Tub and Tile Caulk" around the sink where it meets the top. Just enough to seal the crack and to make it look good. In a few months it will shrink a bit so then add some more caulk.

It's from a local builders' supply place. They aren't open again until Monday. The high spot is right in front by the overflow. I may try going to Lowe's or Home Depot tomorrow just to look, but since the color we need is "biscuit", they'd probably have to order.

If I were trying shimming it as you suggest, what material would I use? Wood?
  • Jul 9, 2006, 05:29 AM
    speedball1
    I've never used shims on lavatories that "rock" a little and if I did it wouldnt' be a wood one. If you have to shin something use sheet lead or those plastic shims that hardware stores sell. If the gap's a small one I load the underside up with Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk and set the lavatory. The Caulk is also a adhesive and when it sets up makes a firm underbase. Just give it time to set up and cure. In all the countless lavatories that I've set over the years I've never been called back to recaulk one because of shrinking grout. That's not to say it can't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.
    Good luck, Tom
  • Jul 10, 2006, 07:45 AM
    jwieland
    They're going to re-order the sink, since I could show them the high spot (or low spot :) ) on the rim. We also noticed that the counter top has sagged a bit on the left and right side of the sink, exaserbating the problem.