Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Just to give plumbing experts a nightmare (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=780996)

• Jan 10, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just to give plumbing experts a nightmare
    Attachment 45453

Friend was having trouble with a drain being blocked. Here is the drain going to the city sewer. And the sewer.

This is a small rural village, things not same around the world
  • Jan 10, 2014, 08:48 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Attachment 45454
  • Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM
    speedball1
    Am I looking at a house. Sewer discharge the into a open trench? What's the location of this code violation? Back to you, Tom
  • Jan 10, 2014, 12:45 PM
    odinn7
    This is in China? LOL...things are different there for sure.
  • Jan 10, 2014, 07:25 PM
    Milo Dolezal
    The brick work, the stucco, the pipe - all look "foreign" to me... To poster: what's the location ? Thank you. Milo
  • Jan 10, 2014, 07:27 PM
    odinn7
    Fr_Chuck is in China.
  • Jan 10, 2014, 07:30 PM
    Milo Dolezal
    O' my... that explains... :)

FYI: Open sewers are extremely unhealthy situation. There was an experiment done in a small town somewhere in south Italy about 100 years ago. They put sewer underground - and in 2 generations, life expectancy almost doubled

Thanks for sharing ...

Milo
  • Jan 10, 2014, 08:04 PM
    massplumber2008
    I think Fr_Chuck knows this is unhealthy! I think he posted it,
    Quote:

Just to give plumbing experts a nightmare
    Awesome stuff and what a great experience you must be having! I am grateful I am exactly where I am!!

Thanks for posting it!!

Mark
  • Jan 11, 2014, 04:57 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes, plumbing is a lot different, I have to redo my drains anytime maintaince works on it. They do not put traps in the drains, the sinks just go straight into the drain.

I have to go out and buy longer flex pipes and make a trap for all the sinks.

Plus a one way valve for the floor drains.

But yes, I should have shown the ditch where all the sewage goes. LOL.

We do have regular sewer pipes, but they are not dependable, you are not suppose to ever flush toilet paper. They keep trash cans next to toilet for the paper. Only the human waste goes down drain, no paper. So you can believe how bad the bathrooms smell.

But those photos was a small country villiage. So there are no codes, no inspectors and these were actually good sewers since most were covered with concreate plates, I just happened to see a open area. Except of course where it goes out.
  • Jan 11, 2014, 05:24 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Oh, yes, I forgot, not everyone knows I am in Central China, and travel to small farms and villages all the time.

Ok, I mentioned toilet. I used that word very flexible. Here is the photo of a Chinese toilet. You do not sit on it, just squat over it.
  • Jan 11, 2014, 03:33 PM
    hkstroud
    Quote:

We do have regular sewer pipes, but they are not dependable, you are not suppose to ever flush toilet paper. They keep trash cans next to toilet for the paper
    Some years ago, the wife and I took a Mediterranean cruse, last stop was Venice, Italy. While at a glass blowing demonstration I had to visit the men's room. There a sign was posted, "Do not put tissue in toilet, use waste paper basket". OK, but I wondered why?

Later, when on the gondola ride, I notice all these pipes sticking buildings with water flowing. Then I understood why you didn't put paper in the toilet. Most of the gondola ride was in the canals between the rear of the buildings.

Some guy sitting behind us said;
    "I wonder where their sewers are?"
    I said;
    "You are riding in it".
    He said;
    "Oh no, I've been dragging my hands in it".
  • Jan 11, 2014, 09:55 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 45465