Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   AZ bug (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=823900)

• Apr 17, 2016, 06:38 AM
    Kfoyle
    AZ bug
    Common on dogs that resemble a crab, have about 20 short legs, create a small bump and they burrow just under the surface skin
  • Apr 17, 2016, 07:14 AM
    J_9
    Tick?
  • Apr 17, 2016, 10:27 AM
    Catsmine
    Depending on the size of the "bug," it could be a tick or one of the various mites. Is it visible to the naked eye?
  • Apr 17, 2016, 07:34 PM
    ma0641
    With 20 legs it isn't a tick or a mite. Ticks and mites are arachnids with 8 legs.
  • Apr 18, 2016, 11:10 AM
    writer1hal
    Pseudoscorpions. Maybe?
  • Apr 18, 2016, 12:42 PM
    ma0641
    Quote:

Originally Posted by writer1hal View Post
    Pseudoscorpions. Maybe?

That is an arachnid too. Poster noted "about. 20 short legs".
  • Apr 18, 2016, 01:09 PM
    catonsville
    Centipedes and Millipedes have that many legs and a Sow Bug has a bunch of legs
  • Apr 19, 2016, 01:06 AM
    Catsmine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    With 20 legs it isn't

common on dogs
  • Apr 19, 2016, 05:06 AM
    ma0641
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    common on dogs

My point was that the suggested items, ticks, mites and pseudo scorpions are arachnids and don't have 20 legs as originally noted by ,OP.
  • Apr 21, 2016, 03:07 PM
    Alty
    I do agree with ma, ticks don't have 20 legs. But then, remember that the poster said this bug burrowed under the skin. Has he/she actually seen the bug, and counted the legs? Doubtful.

A crab like bug that is common on dogs, sounds like a tick to me. Fleas wouldn't be easily visible, and no way they OP could count a fleas legs. Also, ticks don't burrow. Ticks can be rather big, especially after feasting for a while.

Only thing is, ticks don't burrow under the skin.

Does anyone know of a 20 legged bug that burrows under the dogs skin and lives in Arizona? If such a creature exists, surely it wouldn't be hard to find, Especially for Catsmine, who's a bug expert.

Long story short, I think we need a picture of this 20 legged dog burrowing bug.
  • Apr 21, 2016, 03:26 PM
    J_9
    Okay, I've seen my share of ticks. While they may not have 20 legs, they sure as heck LOOK like they do!
  • Apr 21, 2016, 04:11 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Okay, I've seen my share of ticks. While they may not have 20 legs, they sure as heck LOOK like they do!

LOL! I know! I feel the same way. I squish them before I take the time to count legs, and once they're squished, it's impossible to tell what's what, so counting the legs, not possible. But yes, I agree, they look like they have at least 20 legs when you see them, and fangs, and an evil grin while they're sucking the blood out of your dog.

Sadly, that's our perspective, and not reality.

Evil bugs!
  • Apr 22, 2016, 01:33 AM
    Catsmine
    The ONLY "bug" with just 20 legs is a freshly hatched millipede. As they add body segments, they get MORE legs. They don't infest dogs. Therefore the "about 20 legs" in the OP is a misperception. A tick bite will raise a bump, as will the head if the body of the tick is pulled off. Several other species of mites DO burrow under the skin, including scabies and mange mites.