Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Wireless Technology (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=356)
-   -   Interfacing wireless sensors from ADT security to computer (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=598172)

• Sep 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
    canoad
    Interfacing wireless sensors from ADT security to computer
    Hi there
    I have an ADT alarm system that is not monitored and wish to use the wireless sensors in a DIY alarm system. I would like to know how to interface these sensors to my computer. I have a Mac and was looking at Indigo software but their forum does not offer any solutions for this (left a question). I could use a Pc instead of Mac if that helps.

I have no idea how the sensors communicate with their base station (what frequencies) and what hardware I would need on the PC side. Any information on the subject would be appreciated or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
  • Sep 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
    farvaknowsbest
    Hello!

Just to let you know, what you are asking is illegal, and would be very difficult to accomplish (especially with a MAC. Lol). First the sensors have software installed on them that is probably proprietary to ADT (this is where the illegal part comes in) You would have to alter this software somehow to communicate with your device. Not an easy task to accomplish. There are however, plenty of other devices on the market that are relatively cheap and can be configured easily with your home computer (even a mac). They even got it to where you can see what's going on with your Android or iPhone.
  • Oct 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
    mattip1
    I am looking for a similar solution and will only use a Mac with Indigo as my research revealed it is superior. The previous home owner purchased a 3,000 installation and paid ADT to monitor. As long as you purchased the sensors (not leased) you can do whatever you want with them without "fear" of being thrown in jail (I kid about the jail part, obviously). The worst thing that could happen is that you break the device when hacking it which would obviously void any warrantee the device (and possibly violate any contract you may have with ADT) may have had. Even if it were against the terms of service it cannot be illegal, sorry farvaknowsbest but that's a poor choice of words. The only was such an act could be illegal would be if you violated FCC regulations risking interference of governed wireless signals (aviation systems).

Example of precedent for allowance of hacking personally owned devices:
    Under the DMCA of 2010, jailbreaking Apple iDevices is legal in the United States, although Apple has announced that the practice "can void the warranty."[1] However, the jailbreaking process does not include any modification to the hardware, so it can be quickly and easily reversed simply by restoring the operating system through iTunes.

Definition of illegal - contrary to or forbidden by law, esp. criminal law: illegal drugs.
  • Jan 1, 2012, 12:01 PM
    canoad
    I definitely agree with Mattip1, but still we don't have an answer to the question. I was not even talking about using ADT control pannel just the sensors. I am still looking!