Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Languages (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Sanskrit translation for my tattoo (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=195805)

• Mar 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
    SistaVal
    Sanskrit translation for my tattoo
    Hi. I got the phrase "Don't settle" (i.e. Don't settle for less, but without the "for less" part) translated on another site. It was written as स्थिरा मा भव. I wanted to know if that is correct and also what the transliteration is (how do you say it). It would be as if someone (male or female) is saying to me (a female) "Don't settle." I am double checking as this will be part of a tattoo and I want it to be as accurate as possible since it will be on me forever. Thanks!
  • Mar 18, 2008, 01:31 AM
    encyclopedia
    The transliteration is correct.
    It is pronounced like this.
    "Sukhi Maa Bhava"
  • Mar 18, 2008, 04:08 AM
    supriya _82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SistaVal
    Hi. I got the phrase "Don't settle" (i.e. Don't settle for less, but without the "for less" part) translated on another site. It was written as स्थिरा मा भव. I wanted to know if that is correct and also what the transliteration is (how do you say it). It would be as if someone (male or female) is saying to me (a female) "Don't settle." I am double checking as this will be part of a tattoo and I want it to be as accurate as possible since it will be on me forever. Thanks!

I saw your earlier post as well. I wanted to point out that to construct a meningful sentence in Sanskrit you will need to qualify "less" viz. "less reward", "less respect", "less ambition" etc.
    Also your translation for "Dont settle" - स्थिरा मा भव Reads "STHIRA MAA BHAVA" meaning "do not be firm/steady"!!
    It certainly does not read "Sukhi Maa Bhava" which means "Dont be happy"
  • Mar 18, 2008, 10:23 AM
    SistaVal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SistaVal

Seems that the translation is NOT correct! Thanks supriya_82. I suppose if I need to qualify the sentence, I would like the translation and transliteration for "Don't settle for less than what you are worth." Can that be translated?
  • Mar 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
    supriya _82
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 7042

Read as "Alpa-mulye Santosham Ma Karosi" meaning "You do not be satisfied with less worth".

You cannot use the translation for "settle". In your phrase settle is used to express a sense of satisfaction and acceptance.
    Translating settle would be OK if you were using something as "Please settle down in life". That is where you got the word स्थिरा. Which would roughly be used to express. Please stay steady in your life.
  • Mar 21, 2008, 11:54 AM
    LittlemissFun
    Hey,

I'm just wondering if supriya can translate Jey into sanskrit?
    It would be a great help=D
  • May 23, 2009, 10:36 AM
    smonkey

Please can someone write for me

My soul is imperishable
    And
    No one can destroy the imperishable soul

Thank you very much
  • Feb 10, 2010, 04:42 AM
    drkpp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by supriya _82 View Post
    Attachment 7042

Read as "Alpa-mulye Santosham Ma Karosi" meaning "You do not be satisfied with less worth".

You cannot use the the translation for "settle". In your phrase settle is used to express a sense of satisfaction and acceptance.
    Translating settle would be ok if you were using something as "Please settle down in life". That is where you got the word स्थिरा. Which would roughly be used to express. Please stay steady in your life.

Here is the word by word technical analysis of the sentence:
    अल्पमूल्ये = The root word is अल्पमूल्य made of two words अल्प meaning less & मूल्य meaning value. Its locative singular is used meaning "in less value"
    सन्तोषम् = The root verb is सन्तोष meaning contentment & it being the object of the sentence, its accusative singular is used.
    मा = This is an indeclinable meaning "not"
    करोसी = The root verb here is कृ belonging to 8th conjugation Ubhayapada. It is the present tense second person singular but incorrectly formed. The correct should have been करोषि [parasmaipada] or कुरुषे [atmanepada].
    So with correcting the form, the whole sentence translates to "You are not contended in less value." But this is not the intended meaning. The translation asked is for "Do not settle for less value". For this, imperative form of the verb कृ should have been used i.e. कुरु [parasmaipada] or कुरुष्व [atmanepada] making the sentence अल्पमूल्ये संतोषं मा कुरु [or] कुरुष्व which translates to "Do not be contented in less value".

--------------------"Opinions & comments are welcome."--------------------
  • Feb 10, 2010, 04:50 AM
    drkpp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlemissFun View Post
    Hey,

I'm just wondering if supriya can translate Jey into sanskrit??
    It would be a great help=D

Pronunciation?
  • Jun 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
    mia7777
    Could someone kindly translate the word JUSTICE
    And WORRIOR,and if possible write the words in different handwriting as I've seen some beautiful ones on the web.
    I really appreciate the honesty and kindness,thank you!
  • Jun 16, 2010, 12:36 AM
    drkpp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mia7777 View Post
    could someone kindly translate the word JUSTICE
    and WORRIOR,and if possible write the words in different handwriting as ive seen some beautiful ones on the web.
    I really appreciate the honesty and kindness,thank you!!

Respectively,
    न्याय
    योद्धा
  • Jun 16, 2010, 12:47 AM
    drkpp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SistaVal View Post

In the this translation, the word settle is interpreted as in settling down or becoming stable. IF the intended meaning is different, the translation will change.
  • Jun 16, 2010, 12:05 PM
    mia7777

Thank u and God bless!