Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Is it my baby before born? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=419493)

• Nov 26, 2009, 01:58 AM
    colombianbbp13
    Is it my baby before born?
    Me and my girlfriend took a clear blue pregnancy test because she's been experiencing all the symptoms like itchy tender breasts, fatigued, and unusually hungry at times.. she says it would be about 3 weeks along but it kind of looks like she might be a little more along than she's saying.. I tried asking her and she wasn't the happiest camper in the world so I let it alone.. anyways is there anyway I can tell if the baby is mine before its actually born?
  • Nov 26, 2009, 02:51 AM
    nickolei

Talk with your girlfriendfdirst.. if you are sure your are the only one who slept with her, then it it yours.. she's the only one sho could tell you if that is your baby or not... ijust talk to her first and foremost..
  • Nov 26, 2009, 01:47 PM
    J_9
    There is no way to tell until the baby is born and a paternity test is done.
  • Nov 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
    hheath541

They can test paternity by taking a sample of the amniotic fluid, but most doctors won't do so. The procedure is invasive and potentially harmful to the baby, as well as being expensive, and few doctors will consent unless there are outstanding circumstances involved.

I would suggest you just wait it out. You might decide in the end that you love her and the baby so much that you don't care if you're the father. Talk to her and take this time to think about rather or not you're ready to be a father and where you see your relationship going.

As for how far along she is; only a doctor can tell her that. Most pregnancy symptoms don't show up at only 3 weeks, though. Tell her to go to a doctor. An ultrasound will tell how far along she is.
  • Nov 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    they can test paternity by taking a sample of the amniotic fluid, but most doctors won't do so. the procedure is invasive and potentially harmful to the baby, as well as being expensive, and few doctors will consent unless there are outstanding circumstances involved.

Heath, this is possible, but I don't know ANY doctor that will do an amniocentesis strictly for purposes of paternity. The procedure carries some very serious risks, including miscarriage.

Amniocentesis is done for genetic malformations only, and typically if a mother is over the age of 38. Otherwise it is completely dismissed.
  • Nov 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
    hheath541

I know it's not used just to determine paternity. I was just pointing out that it is a possible method, even if it's not a practical one.

The OP asked if there was any way to know, so I felt it only fair to tell him that there is a method, no matter how unreasonable it is in this situation.
  • Nov 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
    J_9
    It's a possible method ONLY if the doctor is going to do an amniocentesis for other reasons.