Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dating (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=374)
-   -   Is it too soon to go to a guy's house after seeing him for 3 weeks? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=808265)

• Feb 14, 2015, 03:37 PM
    sweetpie88
    Is it too soon to go to a guy's house after seeing him for 3 weeks?
    My boyfriend wants me to come over and he says if I'm not comfortable to come his place he can come over mines. He is aware I live with my dad and know my dad is home all the time because he's retired.
  • Feb 14, 2015, 05:02 PM
    farfellow
    He wants you to go to his house to chill out? Him cooking dinner for you? Or something else *wink* wink* *nudge* nudge*. If you're uncomfortable, don't go... follow your gut instincts... they are rarely wrong. I think your dad will appreciate your boyfriend comes over to your house and hang out there. Gives your dad a chance to get to know the guy dating his girl.
  • Feb 14, 2015, 05:30 PM
    joypulv
    I think you need a thousand little bits of knowledge about someone before you can answer this. There's no set 'rule.' One person can be a total stranger still, after 3 weeks, while someone else, such as someone you have known for years or friends and family have, could be sooner. You haven't told us anything about how well you know him! As far as I'm concerned, 3 weeks is too soon to call someone a boyfriend.

I too would invite him to dinner at your house with your dad. I would go to his house for an hour during the daytime the first time, and would make sure that your dad knows when you expect to be home.
  • Feb 14, 2015, 05:45 PM
    sweetpie88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by farfellow View Post
    He wants you to go to his house to chill out? Him cooking dinner for you? Or something else *wink* wink* *nudge* nudge*. If you're uncomfortable, don't go... follow your gut instincts... they are rarely wrong. I think your dad will appreciate your boyfriend comes over to your house and hang out there. Gives your dad a chance to get to know the guy dating his girl.

He wants to cook dinner. I don't have a problem going or like you said I can ask him to come over my place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I think you need a thousand little bits of knowledge about someone before you can answer this. There's no set 'rule.' One person can be a total stranger still, after 3 weeks, while someone else, such as someone you have known for years or friends and family have, could be sooner. You haven't told us anything about how well you know him! As far as I'm concerned, 3 weeks is too soon to call someone a boyfriend.

I too would invite him to dinner at your house with your dad. I would go to his house for an hour during the daytime the first time, and would make sure that your dad knows when you expect to be home.

I knew him a few months before we started dating. Thanks for the advice.
  • Feb 14, 2015, 06:54 PM
    Homegirl 50
    I would not go to a guys house after only 3 weeks. Let him come to your house, it will give your dad a chance to meet him.
  • Feb 15, 2015, 12:18 PM
    talaniman
    Does he live with his parent(s)? How old are you both? I would go really slow and let him visit you.
  • Feb 15, 2015, 12:51 PM
    ScottGem
    I see nothing wrong with a guy cooking a meal even after only 3 weeks. But there are extenuating circumstances that could alter this. Your ages for one, Does he live alone? If not will the people he lives with be home?
  • Feb 15, 2015, 01:29 PM
    DoulaLC
    How old are the two of you and has your dad met him yet?
  • Feb 15, 2015, 03:56 PM
    Cat1864
    I know from previous posts that you are at least 25. Is he your age?

I see no issues with having dinner at his place as long as you both know what the limits for the evening are.

Are you comfortable discussing boundaries and expectations with him? Do you trust him to stay within those boundaries? Are you concerned he might try to push for more than you are comfortable with? If so, then dinner at your place or stay out in public places.