Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Using space heater on 950-1200W generator (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=774482)

• Nov 9, 2013, 05:22 AM
    joypulv
    Using space heater on 950-1200W generator
    I got a small used generator 950-1200W, and want it mainly for a space heater and one lamp. Trouble is, the heater is designed to start at 1500W and I'll have to lower it with a single touch pad button with 7 settings as quickly as I can. Will it trip the circuit no matter how fast I lower it? Is there any way I can get rid of the higher settings on the heater, which I never use even when I have power?
    And can I mix gas and oil in the same can I use in the summer for the lawnmower, without oil, and throw out excess, or do I need to go buy a separate can? Or can I just pour in a quart of gas, an ounce of oil, etc, and shake it a little? It only takes one gallon.

Thanks as always.
    Oh - and how important is the warning 'do not use with small electronics like TVs?' Not that I'd be watching TV because cable will be out too, but I'm just wondering. I assume it's because of how easily they suffer from surge or brownout?
  • Nov 9, 2013, 06:06 AM
    hkstroud
    Quote:

Will it trip the circuit no matter how fast I lower it?
    Probably.
    Quote:

Is there any way I can get rid of the higher settings on the heater,
    That wouldn't help. Thermostat turn the heater on and off based on temperature. When it is on, it is on, using a certain amount of amperage no matter what the temperature. Higher thermostat setting only means it stay on longer.

Now if you are talking about something like a Delonghi, 1500 watt, space heater, they have two heating elements. One is 600 watts and the second is 900 watts. You could use one of those using only one of the elements at a time.
    Quote:

And can I mix gas and oil in the same can
    No problem with that.

Quote:

'do not use with small electronics like TVs?'
    Generator is probably an inverter generator. Which means it puts out a square wave A/C signal, not a sign wave. More expensive model would probably put out a modified sign wave and be acceptable for electronics.
  • Nov 9, 2013, 06:48 AM
    joypulv
    Thank you Harold. Can't give you a greenie. Now that's ridiculous - I'm sure it's been ages.
  • Nov 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
    BoltedShort
    Good answers... except using the same can for both straight and mixed gas is asking for trouble.

Sooner or later, you will forget and pour straight gas into the 2-stroke engine. Better to spend $5 and get a separate can for the mixed gas.
  • Nov 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
    joypulv
    (Thanks - the generator only takes a gallon, so I decided to mix as needed in a cleaned out milk jug.)
  • Nov 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
    ma0641
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (Thanks - the generator only takes a gallon, so I decided to mix as needed in a cleaned out milk jug.)

Tsk-Tsk. Unapproved flammable container plus the gasoline leaches plasticiser into the gasoline. Use a metal can or FM approved container and be safe.
  • Nov 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
    joypulv
    I meant for less than a minute, just to mix - nothing wrong with that, right?
  • Nov 13, 2013, 06:20 AM
    ma0641
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I meant for less than a minute, just to mix - nothing wrong with that, right?

That's OK but not for storage.